What years in Gen 1s were the magnasteer availible?

1tinindian

I might have to change out my column, and wanted to know what years of car I could find this in, when looking at car in the J/Y.

I thought it was standard on the GTPs, but didn't know if it was available on the SE.

I plan on going Saturday, so help now would be great.

Search didn't turn up the infor I was looking for.

Thanks.

This would be for my 1995 GTP.

Other w-bodies have the same thing?

Which models?

Leon

CUTLASS 95-96 Floor Shift; w/variable PS opt NV7

CUTLASS 97 Floor Shift; Supreme, w/variable PS opt NV7

GRAND PRIX 95-96 Floor Shift; w/variable PS opt NV7

REGAL 95-96 Floor Shift; w/variable PS opt NV7

all it does is raise the idle of the engine when theres over a certain amount of psi in the steering lines.. personally I prefer the idle to stay normal..

My factory sevice manual doesn't say anything about the engine idle.

It says that the system at low vehicle speeds, and high steering shaft rotation, will supply 100% power assist.

Then when the vehicle speed increases, and the steering shaft rotaton slow, the system will restrict fluid flow output by the steering wheel pump.

I have never noticed my idle ever increacing while any low speed turns.

I don't see how idle speed would have any effect on the power assist.

I have a 92 GP without it, and I much prefer the 95 that has it.

Much nicer driving car.

You'll never be able to get it to wrok, as it also utilizes the ABS module to operate.

but... the component on the 95+ magnasteer steering column in a sensor at the base that be be detached and reattached to a different column, but I'm not sure if it fits the 93- column.

You'll never be able to get it to wrok, as it also utilizes the ABS module to operate.

but... the component on the 95+ magnasteer steering column in a sensor at the base that be be detached and reattached to a different column, but I'm not sure if it fits the 93- column.

I'm not trying to put it in the 92.

I am needing to replace the one in the 95 that HAS the magnasteer.

Besides, I found one out of a 97 Cutlass that had what I was looking for, and only cost me $40.

It came out pretty easy, too.

I also picked up a second steering wheel and airbag.

It was a hot mid-day, but worth the time to take it out myself!

Leon

Much nicer driving car.

I would bet you that the Magnasteer is not what makes it nicer, I would bet that it has a totally different ratio rack. You can figure this out by decoding your RPO codes on your spare tire cover.

I notice that some of my cars seem to having weaker powersteering than others... but I don;t know if that correlates to racks.

my 93 vert is annoyingly stiff to steer...

the 95 sedan is slightly stiff.

the 94 sedan is a bit soft....

IIRC you car felt good in terms of powersteering but loose on the road due to the problems you need fixed.

I think the 93 car must have a weak pump.... an the 95 is about right. oh... I think a low idle seems to cause issues too. the 95 car is a little off....

Much nicer driving car.

I would bet you that the Magnasteer is not what makes it nicer, I would bet that it has a totally different ratio rack. You can figure this out by decoding your RPO codes on your spare tire cover.

What RPO would I be looking for?

NV7 ?

Much nicer driving car.

What RPO would I be looking for?

NV7 ?

I'm not really sure to be honest. I'd just decode them all. Sometimes you find out very interesting information about your car you never knew!

witch is best for autocross performance? The lower one i assume? Will a tgp one work on a newer first gen?

The TGP rack is the best option for AutoX, and yes, the TGP rack fits all 1st gens. They are all physically the same, except different ratios internally.

witch is best for autocross performance? The lower one i assume? Will a tgp one work on a newer first gen?

The TGP rack is the best option for AutoX, and yes, the TGP rack fits all 1st gens. They are all physically the same, except different ratios internally.

have a pn? How do i know it has the correct ratio?

The one for the tgp has the same pn as the one for the se..

I just spent hours looking for a new tgp rack.. Tomorrow im gona find out what they cost from gm... I could find one used but can it be rebuit? Im 90% sure its the exact same thing corvettes and cameros use. The only difference if the mounting locations and inner tie rod ends..

I have a nice TGP rack that doesnt leak :wink: :wink:

Sitting on my garage floor right now..

Oh yeah, GM doesnt list them anymore, ive already been through that. They will only have the 2.75 or 3.0 rack at about $340

There are NO mounting differences or inner tie rods or even where the PS lines come in. Its all the same externally

PM me if you are interested in the one I have..

I skimmed this thread and I don't want to sound stupid, but what exactly IS Magnasteer, and what is it's purpose. I've heard about it numerous times, but never really looked into it. Someone mentioned engine idling increasing when turn the wheel or something. AWeb remarked that my car felt like it had Magnasteer.