opinions for a swap

dirt_igirt

these thread amuses me....everyone talks about how great a SC 3x00 would be, yet no one does it....which I can understand because the cost and the amount of work that would require it to put out numbers close to a stock L67 sure wouldn't pove to be cost effective...

The l67 certainly isn't the fastest engine in the world, only a fool would think/claim that. However when it comes to wanting to go faster in a w-body you WILL NOT get a better "bang for the buck" swap then a L67. Period. For the amount of $ it would cost to buy, supercharge and swap a 3x00 that might get you to 240hp, you could buy, mod and swap in an L67 what would be over 300hp/~350-370tq.

/thread

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Euro

• Night Fury

• BXX

• MonteCarloDude

these thread amuses me....everyone talks about how great a SC 3x00 would be, yet no one does it....which I can understand because the cost and the amount of work that would require it to put out numbers close to a stock L67 sure wouldn't pove to be cost effective...

The l67 certainly isn't the fastest engine in the world, only a fool would think/claim that. However when it comes to wanting to go faster in a w-body you WILL NOT get a better "bang for the buck" swap then a L67. Period. For the amount of $ it would cost to buy, supercharge and swap a 3x00 that might get you to 240hp, you could buy, mod and swap in an L67 what would be over 300hp/~350-370tq.

/thread

lol. Says the guy who's avatar says "3800 is junk"

:willynilly:

/thread

According to this site, it is!!!! :willynilly:

/thread

According to this site, it is!!!! :willynilly:

Not according to me. :biggrin:

184,000 miles and counting.

I vote quad 4

But also in all seriousness. Both the L67 and LG5 are boat anchors with old technology. 3x00 heads and intakes flow sooo much better (largeport). But even the smallport 3100s outflow the LG5 (I am unassure of them vs the L67 heads)

That, and 3x00s have a sweet smooth sound that pwns all

I love the L67, but the fact remains that it is a boat anchor that lasts over 200K. My personal preference is something that is less of an antique and can easily make power.

I agree, very few people will ever actually boost a 3x00 and see results. But those who have, knows the 3x00s true potential under boost.

And I will be one of them.

So, I say again.

Turbo LA1 FTMFW

3x00s make the same power as a 3.8 yet it is smaller displament and lighter, obviously the 3x00 is the more efficient engine.

so are you saying that you could swap in a 3x00 engine that would make more power then an l67 swap using the same budget?

3x00s make the same power as a 3.8 yet it is smaller displament and lighter, obviously the 3x00 is the more efficient engine.

so are you saying that you could swap in a 3x00 engine that would make more power then an l67 swap using the same budget?

Yes, the LZ9 is 240hp, the LZ8 is 233hp. Hell, the little LZ4 is 214hp

The LA1 is 170-185hp..

The L36 is 205hp

Thats an apples to apples comparison.

Boost ANY 3x00 and see how it compares to the L67. Fuck, the old LG5 produced 205hp with a little T25 and 7psi of boost.

Im not hating. I love the 3800 engines.. But I understand the 3x00s are superior.

You really wanna get real involved, the 54 degree V6 is better and superior to the 690 engines.

Yes, the LZ9 is 240hp, the LZ8 is 233hp. Hell, the little LZ4 is 214hp

The LA1 is 170-185hp..

The L36 is 205hp

Thats an apples to apples comparison.

Boost ANY 3x00 and see how it compares to the L67. Fuck, the old LG5 produced 205hp with a little T25 and 7psi of boost.

my question wasn't about what stock HP each engine puts out, it was about how much $ it would cost to swap in the boosted 3x00 everyone speaks about....what my point was is that if you take that same $ budget that it would take to build/boost/swap/custom tune it you could build/swap in an L67 that would put down lots more power.

I think a turbo 3400 would be fun, but you can swap in more power for cheaper going a different route

You would have about the same money involved in doing a LZ9 swap and comared to a L67 swap.

Not, if you already have a 3x00. The cost drops as no swap is really needed (large port manis on small port engines if needed) and boost it, and you could easily be beyond 300hp

If your smart, and kinda a jew like me. Turbo'ing a 3x00 wont cost much really.

And if you want 300 extra pounds...

I think Taylor was exaggerating a *bit* when he said that.

PS: According to Aaron Lephart(the first L67 swapper...circa 1998), the L67 weighs 67lbs less than a LQ1.

You would have about the same money involved in doing a LZ9 swap and comared to a L67 swap.

Mods for the LZ9...no idea what that is, the 3900? No....mods for the L67...yes

L67s can be found MUCH cheaper to buy used then I have ever seen 3900s. but for discussion's sake let's say you were able to obtain a used 3900 that was remotely close to that of a used stock L67...

...so the 3900 would be at 240hp/240tq with very limited aftermarket and the L67 would be at 240hp/280tq....invest another $30 and the L67 would be around 260-265hp/295tq. :shrug:

enough arguing we've all decided a 60* is more efficient and 90*s are more cost effective. I can live with that! You get what you pay for :biggrin:

very well put

/Thread. :lol:

I love the L67, but the fact remains that it is a boat anchor that lasts over 200K. My personal preference is something that is less of an antique and can easily make power.

First off let me state *i am not arguing against you or talking shit*

There's a reason for old technology. It works, and its reliable. Its not my fault GM puts fucking fabric/paper shit ass gaskets between everything. Other than that name 1 stock 3800 common problem thats also not common to any other GM motor.