How much should a "show quality" paint job cost?

5speedz34

What the title says. I know you can get Maaco's "Ambassador" paint service for $300. :lol: :lol: What does a serious show car quality paint job run? I would guess you can run paint jobs up as high as you want, but I just want a approximation. I'm thinking 5-7k would get you a great paint job?

I'm looking for SMOOTH, EURO, ROB, SLICK, BRIAN P, JEREMY and all you other yokels to post!!!

Pretty much I just got under the Lumina and it really really makes me want to get a good paying job after the election is over!

A quality paint job is only as good as the body work underneath. There's where 80% of the labor is so if you do the bodywork yourself you've eliminated most of the cost and could easily get away with a near perfect paint job for $1000 or less.

I have heard of people refinancing their houses to repaint an old classic car. I guess it would depend greatly on year make model and actual purpose of the car. I have had good jobs done for $1,000 that looked better than GM did but thats not saying much. Whereas I have seen jobs that cost $3,000 look worse than the paint job I paid $1,000 for. Another huge factor is materials and equipment used in the prep work. A DA is not going to yeild the results a hand sand job will. Also another major factor is brand of paint, clear coat and gun used. I have heard great things about Dupont, PPG, and 3M I have also heard horror stories about each brand too. I have never heard anything good about Matrix, Montana, Valspar. Other than its easy to lay down evenly. Another huge factor in paint goes beyond brand I have heard that certain colors (blends) are easier to work with of different brands like PPG Sunset Orange metallic is easier to spray on than Dupont. Whereas Dupont Opal Blue Metallic may lay down more evenly than PPGs blend. Above all other factors is how much time the fiinisher has invested into wet sanding and how many layers of clear coat are applie obviously the more layers of clear coat the glossier and more reflective the finish but its very brittle and susceptible to damage easier from impacts. Most body men HATE wet sanding !!! So they charge you up the wazoo for it and how busy they are at the time you drop the car off will also greatly impact overall cost. THose are just 10 factors of another possible 50 to consider.

Dude we all know that you rolled in to MAACO and you where like, "yo, how much to paint this whip, I need to get teh puzzy wit my boy davison" Shit, we know they didn't even tape off the windows. WHy don't you try telling everybody what you told me? How the paint is a factory screw up and makes the car worth 10x more than it is?

Don't even get me started with the knockoff wheels you have.

I'm looking for SMOOTH, EURO, ROB, SLICK, BRIAN P, JEREMY and all you other yokels to post!!!

I've never had a car painted, how the hell am I supposed to know?

But, just knowing the processes and different materials, I guess it all depends what you want out of your paint. Do you want a pearl, metal flake, etc....? Color makes a humongous difference, as well as the quality of paint. Also, as Rob mentioned, you can go to a well known bodyman and you still get what you pay for. If your looking for something cheap from the best bodyman, he's going to give you a cheap job, your just paying for his name.

Anyways, I could never see myself spending more than $3000 on a nice paintjob. But, that would be just the rolling chassis driving in, all pieces off of the vehicle as possible, no interior, etc...

I think you should get the car running and driving right before you worry about paint.

Functionality >>>>> How it looks.

^^^^

seriously.....what good would painting it do you right now? it doesn't do anything other then sit in the garage?

$1000-10,000 seriously. There's no way to know unless you drive it to a reputable shop and get a written estimate. Of course, it's gotta be running first before you can do that!!!

Shit yall #$%#az needs to know my dubs be 15" Americizzle Racizzles foo !! A to the Muthafuckin R homeboy A to the muthfuckin R WOOO WOOOOO!

Let me interpret, I speak Jive. He supports the American Racing wheel company, homeboy.

it doesnt matter if we use PPG, DUPONT, ICI, SPIES HECKER, it is labor rates body and paint labor, where i work its 65 for both

any good well known shop removes evrything!!! where its just a shell, lots of rust lots of dents, plays a big factor=more labor=more money

the starting price will start around 3,000 and go up, the last car i did the customer paid over 10,000 for a full on frame off resto-rod

what we do is not easy and not cheap, its not the materials fault per sae, it is the tech using the material wrong and or tool wrong