'89 GP SE - Struts?

AxlCrucifix

I know this is probably a dumb question, but do the 89 GP SE's have struts? And if so, the big question is do they come apart or are they one piece?

Yes they have struts.

The fronts come apart, you only replace the cartridge and you need a special tool to do it ($30 on ebay)

The rears are a 1 piece assembly, so they do not come apart.

Jamie

just get the loaner w-body front strut removal tool from autozone. I timed myself at 12 minutes to change the drivers side strut cartridge. I prefer using an impact on the 15/16 nut so it took me longer to get my air tools ready and put away than the actual job.

Do a search, there are tons of topics about how to do this. I even saw one post a long time ago with a pictur of what happens if you jack up your car while changing the strut. I laughed pretty good at it. Some very ugly Big Mac Grand Prix.

• 3 weeks later...

you can actually buy complete strut assemblies from autozone, I was pricing struts, cuz I need em for my 89 too, and the monroes are like $86 a piece I think it was fully assembled, that's cheaper than rockauto so I will be pickin em up this weekend.

nah, I just wanted something easy that was a bolt in, but if the KYBs are cheap enough I will get them... but the monroes were the only ones already assembled. I have never put mounts or anything else on, didn't know what was involved so I just wanted to go the easy route.

What is considered already assembled? The part I got is quite small, almost looks like just a fancy gas shock.

There is kind of a rough ride in the back, with an audible noise, and from Technical Service Bulletins, I have found that it may be a Spring Tip Pad thats gone. Quote for this:

Condition

Some customers may comment on a grinding/scraping/groaning type noise coming from the rear suspension area that is audible in the passenger compartment. This condition typically occurs on high mileage vehicles that have been operated in areas exhibiting high levels of grit or sand contamination. The noise is most apparent when the vehicle is operated over irregular road surfaces or during quick starting or braking maneuvers.

Cause

The wearing away or complete/partial detachment of the rubber tip pads on the rear transverse composite leaf spring may result in the unprotected spring end sliding on the cast knuckle surface.

Correction

Replace worn or missing rear spring rubber tip pads with those contained in spring tip service kit, P/N 10432057, using adhesive, P/N 10432060. Follow the applicable service procedure in the Rear Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual and those contained in the service kit.

Or, could be a problem with a spindle rod, quoted here:

Affected: 1989-91 GRAND PRIX MODELS

Condition: Some 1989-91 Grand Prix models equipped with auxiliary rear springs may exhibit a thud/clunk type noise coming from the rear of the vehicle that is audible in the passenger compartment. This condition is most apparent after a harsh/sharp road input such as a chuck-hole/ speed bump.

Cause: Auxiliary rear spring lower attaching bracket not in full contact with rear spindle rod. Under certain operating conditions lower attaching bracket may flex and contact spindle rod resulting in thud/clunk noise.

Correction: Following service procedure indicated below, insure that the auxiliary rear spring lower brackets are properly seated on spindle rods.

Can you post the service procedure for "insure that the auxiliary rear spring lower brackets are properly seated on spindle rods."?

Sounds like the problem I am having.

The rear struts LOOK fine, no hydraulic fluid/oil or anything, but I still get clunking regularly.

Yessir, here she be:

Service Procedure:

1. Raise vehicle and support in such a manner that rear suspension is extended in a full downward position.

2. Inspect both right and left hand auxiliary spring lower brackets to insure they are in contact with spindle rods utilizing a .002" feeler gage.

3. If a bracket is not in contact, loosen lower bracket to spindle rod bolt a maximum of two revolutions. Let bracket position itself on spindle rod and re-torque bolt(s) to 46 N-m (36 lbs.ft.).

CAUTION: THE AUXILIARY SPRINGS ARE UNDER COMPRESSION AND BOLTS MUST NOT BE REMOVED. DOING SO MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

4. Lower vehicle.

Labor Operation Number: T1752

Labor Time : 0.3 Hours