Engine Clunking... UPDATE 10/3, PLEASE READ

88red4cyl

First of all, I hope this is in the right section... Secondly, my 95 Lumi has developed a clunk over the past few days... Whenever you shift the gear selector to the next spot, you get a clunking sound.. Accelerating from a stop and also coming to a complete stop make the noise also.. What does this sound like to you guys?

Thanks!

-Will

Edited by 88red4cyl

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88red4cyl

• Brian P

• AWeb80

• Addicted to eaton

have someone shift the car while you watch the engine and see where the movement is coming from. If its the bottom of the motor that moves, then its your lower mount. If the top moves, then its your dog bones.

Thanks!! I'm gonna go check this in a little bit.. Where the heck do you find a lower mount at though? I checked Auto Zone's website, and all I could find was the torque strut mounts and the tranny mount...

I had the same thing happen with my car a few months back. The lower mount had loosened itself up, all i had to do was retighten it and i've been fine ever since.

have someone shift the car while you watch the engine and see where the movement is coming from. If its the bottom of the motor that moves, then its your lower mount. If the top moves, then its your dog bones.

OK.. I did that, and it looks like the whole motor is moving.. How much is considered acceptable movement for the dogbones?

What other things could cause the clunk I am hearing? The guy I was gonna have change the mounts looked at it and said he didn't think the lower mount was bad... It seemed to me like there was a lot of movement before, but to be honest, I never noticed how much the engine moved before...

ok look at the radiator support where the dogbones mounr and watch the play in the dogbones while shifting. usually the clunk is from the dogbone hitting the support

take your hand and feel directly beneath the block to the frame on the pass side....if it is all gooey and nasty...blown motor mount

what side is the sqeaking coming from?

BLOWN

mini-IMG_1262.jpg

New and blown

mini-IMG_1272.jpg

take your hand and feel directly beneath the block to the frame on the pass side....if it is all gooey and nasty...blown motor mount

what side is the sqeaking coming from?

The driver side.. And it's more of a clunk.. Now it's doing it anytime I accelerate (when I'm in gear only), when I brake, when I hit a bump.. It's gotten much worse over the last couple days..

I replaced both my tranny and lower motor mount, and the dog bones with good used ones from the TSTE.. and I'm pretty sure the dog bones are shot again. It's really fucking annoying. It looks like the whole motor tweaks 3 inches shifting between drive/reverse/park. I know the subframe's not moving, I had someone shift through gears while I watch it, just the motor's moving.

Normally if the lower mount is fucked the dog bones will go out shortly after from all the movement. The one on the driver side is worse since it's above the exhaust

I added this vid I just took to the whatever section, but I figure I should add it here too for those who don't look at the Whatever thread much..

This vid is of me shaking the car back and forth.. I tried to capture the movement the best I could (which was hard because I have to hold the hood up with my head) of the driver side torque strut compared to the stationary air box.. If you turn the sound up, you can hear the clunk (which is the same one I hear when I drive (I think)) as the engine moves.. So does it look like the engine is moving too much, or is that about normal for the 3100's?

It does sometimes.. Especially when I turn into my driveway (which is uphill from the road).. I am guessing it's probably doing it when I turn though because I probably hit the gas or brake, but I could be wrong..

Well I would agree with everyone else about motormounts too but it wouldn't hurt to check your ball joints. When my original ball joints went out it would make a clunking sound because the steel ball part would go up and down the plastic liner inside, and it was touchy depending on how and how much torque was applied.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up replacing the lower mount with the solid one from Auto Zone. The clunk went away, for about three days. Then it came back... I replaced the torque struts this morning, and the clunk is still there...

I am kind of lost as to where to go next.. Do I need to replace the brackets on the radiator support for the torque struts, the tranny mount??? Also, I noticed that the driver side torque strut seems to be sitting crooked.. It may supposed to be like this, but it didn't look right to me, so I uploaded some pics to see if it's normal or not..

Passenger side:

S6300513.jpg

Driver side:

S6300512.jpg

One other thing, my lower mount couldn't have gone bad in three days could it? I figured since it's a solid mount, it would be all right, but I wanted to double check..

What the hell does this have to do with Brakes/Suspension/Steering/Wheels/Tires?

It did originally, but I edited that stuff out of my original post... I thought I had a bad CV joint to begin with..

Anyway, the mods are more than welcome to move this thread to powertrain if they wish..

Also check your lower transmission mount! Opposite side of the lower engine mount.

Moving to.... powertrain?

Thanks for moving it Brian! Is it a hydraulic mount as well (i.e. will it be easy to tell if it's bad or not)?

your year has the hydraulic. They don't typically fail as "ugly" as the motor mount does, but you should still see something.

Well I went out and looked at it, and it looks fine.. It's dry, and I felt around and don't feel any crap like I did on the motor mount... I'll snap a pic when I finish lunch.