Parking brake: Doesn't grab when pumped, and sags

sonick

So the next in my '90 GP STE to-fix list is my parking brake.

The brake pumps and sets properly (can't pump further after a single pump), but it doesn't grab and hold AT ALL (it still moves even in neutral on a slight slope).

Also, the parking brake cable sags when released.

Any ideas on what's wrong? Does it need a simple adjustment or do I need to replace the pads on the rear discs?

Thanks!

The park brake pedal is a ratcheting action design...it should take up to 3 pumps (no less than 2)to bring on the park brake. There are stops on the caliper castings that the levers come up against to limit their travel at full off & full on. Full on and you should see that the levers on the stops. If this happens and you can still turn the wheels check the caliper slider pins to see if they are seized. This will interfere with the overall action of the rear calipers. As well have a look at the condition of the pads. Lastly, check your park brake cable adjuster under the chassis under the drivers seat. There should be no slack in the cable, you should be able to freely pull on it and it will move the cables and park levers, it should spring back to a taught position under the car. When properly adjusted the levers on the calipers should have just a small 1/32" clearance from the stops at full off.