Quick Ball Joint Question

Hairdo12

I did a search and I wasn't satisfied with what I found. My 16 year old ball joints started creaking yesterday on my 1992 Lumina. My question is, when replacing the ball joints, do I need to compress the spring? Is it just jack up the car, remove the castle nut, seperate the ball joint and grind the rivets off? I just want to make sure I dont need to compress the spring or put another jack under the strut assembly. Thanks.

Yea you might need a crowbar or something to help lift the ball joint stud out of the control arm (even after it's popped), otherwise a spring compressor would help, but the spring's not gonna pop out or anything when removing pressure from the ball joint.

The bottom seat/bearing sits on a lip around the knuckle and the top is held by a plate that is held down by a nut on the top of the strut cartridge.

Qiuck note: I sorta chiseled the rivets on mine off. I got one of those real heavy duty breaker chisel things and a hammer and chopped off the head. It was much quicker and neater than grinding.