Valet Keyless Entry

PCGUY112887

So I had Ultimate Electronics here install a Valet Keyless Entry system, $100 total installed. What they failed to tell me is that even though I have a power trunk, and the Valet system has an AUX button and hookup to pop a trunk, that the device won't pop my trunk without a $50 relay. OH well, I just care about the doors.

I would have had BestBuy install this, but Ultimate Electronics seems to have a much better setup and better prices. Seemed "higher quality" at the time.

So I get the car back and everything works great, aside from the fact that the buttons inside to lock/unlock the door now don't work. At all. So I go back and they said they don't know, it's always like that and that is how it works. It's a feature.

WTF. I made them try to call Valet to ask but they were closed, they were supposed to call them and call me back but never did (didn't expect it). So now the only way I can lock/unlock my doors is via the remote, or actually sliding the lock which doesn't work well since the plastic locks always slide out of their track and fall apart.

Anyone else ever have keyless installed and run into this? I plan on going back again and talking to someone else.

I just installed a keyless entry/alarm a few weeks ago and I my locks work with the button or remote. Sounds like they fucked something up. And to install the trunk relay cost me $4 for the relay from ebay and 5 minutes to install it.

ok in the drivers kick panel is the typical place to get the lock wires. pull back the trim and carpet and take pictures of any non stock wiring. btw, did you check your fuses?

oh and the relay is only like $5 they are just raping you on labor. if u want trunk pop i can walk you through it

Thats what I was saying. A 5-wire relay and I think I only used 4 wires.

The trunk release wire is black or black/white at the switch.

Take the red/white wire coming out of the brain, this is your auxilary output (for trunkpop):

Relay wiring:

30- To black or black/white wire at the switch

85- Red/white input from keyless entry brain

86- 12V positive

87- 12V positive (just tie 86 and 87 together, and run to the solid red wire coming out of the keyless entry brain)

87a- Do not use

This will give you trunk pop.

As far as the lock are concerned, sounds like they don't know what they were doing. Either they tried to 5-wire the lock motor wires and did it incorrectly, or just completely cut the lock wires and hooked up the aftermarket output to the wires themselves.

Get me pictures, and I can walk you through the fix.

Ugh... thanks for the help guys. I knew I should just install this myself, but for $100 installed it seemed like a good deal.

wires1.jpg

wires2.jpg

wires3.jpg

wires4.jpg

Looks like they just tied it in, but Im no expert either. I wish the box and wires were that small on mine. I had to cram everything up inside the kick panel to hide it all. I would just take it back and tell them you know theres no way that installing a keyless entry should disable the locks on the inside.

Both have solid black resistor shaped things, but their black and perfectly round tiny cylinders with wires on each end, only writing on 1 of them is a N and an M (different lines, writing is wore off them).

It's impossible for me to get a good pic of these even with macro mode on the camera.

Are they black with a silver band around one end of the black cylinder? If so, that would be a diode, but that wouldn't make any sense at all.

Really sounds like they didn't know what they were doing. And, your factory door locks are a totally seperate circuit than the aftermarket keyless entry. Sounds like they fucked something up, and don't want to take the blame.

What you should do is call DEI (which owns Valet) and tell them over the phone what is going on. When you tell them the shop and what not, be sure to get a reference number from DEI, and then go back into the shop, and take in all the information with you.

Basically, they fucked up, and don't want to admit it.

They mentioned that the same thing happened on other Grand Prix's that they do, and the guy thought it was a feature.

I bet those are diodes from pictures of them on Google, but I don't know what else they could be. SHOULD anything even be there?

Really, it isn't like they are hurting anything, but no, they do not need to be there.

I've been installing this stuff for several years now, and have NEVER had something like that happen.

Looks pretty normal, however they didn't need to use the 451m relay pack. I wonder why they did.....

well judging by the look of that unit there should be a polarity switch for positive and negative locks, but diodes?? no reason

I dont know why but that picture looks like 1 wire spliced to 1 wire not one wire spliced into 2. maybe i am wrong but that looks like they cut the factory wires and wired that unit in therefore bypassing the factory feature. maybe iam wrong, could just be the pics

The locks on these vehicle's are negative. On the brain itself, you can choose either positive or negative polarity with a jumper on the side of the brain. THE USE OF TEH 451m WAS NOT NECESSARY.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks pretty normal, however they didn't need to use the 451m relay pack. I wonder why they did.....

well judging by the look of that unit there should be a polarity switch for positive and negative locks, but diodes?? no reason

I dont know why but that picture looks like 1 wire spliced to 1 wire not one wire spliced into 2. maybe i am wrong but that looks like they cut the factory wires and wired that unit in therefore bypassing the factory feature. maybe iam wrong, could just be the pics

In which picture do you mean? This one? Those 2 wires (larger green/blue wires) seem to be just attached to those other 2 wires (in the stock harness).

wires2.jpg

I am still trying to figure out the solution to this!

They don't really need to be there, so maybe you can try removing them?

I have one other idea, but it would be a bit of work. Remove the diode looking things and get back with me.