What is this??

alphagtp

This things are messed up on both sides, what are they, how do I change them?? sorry, don't know much of suspension(yet...)

101_1324.jpg

ps. not my car, to lazy to get real pics, thanks aweb :wink:

make sure you are using the share address for the embedded photo.. if you're not, you will be the only one able to see it... its your account LOL.

At least, IIRC about photobucket.

they are dried and cracked, is like plastic rubber, completly gone; but I wasn't sure if it was a bushing of some kind at some point, lol.

Its a dust guard. Just means that your tie rod joints might wear prematurely.

Keep them well greased you should be fine for a while yet though.

Jamie

Once the boots start to go, you really dont have much longer. Also dont grease them with regular black multi-purpose grease. The ones from discount or any auto parts store suck, I use GM casue they are sealed, this way the grease can not get pushed out of them. If you look you can find GM ones on ebay cheap. I picked up one for my sunfire for $8, normally $65

I don't even know how long they have been like that so if they are cheap like that, I will just go ahead and change them; do the ones that dohcv6 posted from ebay fit?? they don't have my car as a fit. How hard are they to change?? any tips??

The ones he posted will not work... I changed mine and I can say without a shadow of doubt that those are WAY different than the ones your car uses. Go to your local parts store and pick up a set of MOOG tie rod ends. I got MOOG inner rod ends and they are GREAT quality. My outers are from a front end kit I got from http://www.p-s-t.com, also great quality. The big thing you want to look for is plastic, the cheap ones have plastic casings on them. The MOOG and PST ones are all steel, and grease able.

Jamie

So to summarize, you need to go out and buy 2 new outer tie rod ends, ones that aren't made in China.

Also when replacing them count how many turns it takes to come off.

And replace the new one with the same amount of turns.

Then your alignment should be the same.

If the boots gone their is really no way to grease them, and your just letting a easy way for dirt and moisture to get into the fitting. I replaced mine with Napa Premium ones for like $50. Easy to replace, count the number of turns and you might not need and alignment afterwards.