clunk into reverse gone, but now not dropping into any gear

Psych0matt

replaced the modulator to T vacuum line, as well as a few others, and the clunk is gone. First gear is fine, but as soon as it shifts out of first, it doesn't want to grab any gear unless I'm already going pretty fast (basically flooring it in 1st to get a slingshot effect basically). Why would it do this all the sudden when before it was shifting just fine? :thinking:

So it shifts out of 1st and basically freewheels? does it bang or slip into second? I hate to say the obvious, but did you check your fluid level?

The TSTE was pulling that on me when it still had the auto.. not when I first got the car but it got a little worse then all of a sudden it got very worse. I don't remember the details, but I seem to remember almost getting nailed one day because I tried to make a quick merge or something and once it was out of first, it slipped BAD before hitting 2nd a few secs later. I don't know enough about autos, I assume it needs at least a partial rebuild. Maybe that'll be the next thing I tear down once both of my 282s are off the workbench :lol:

well, it was perfectly fine until I messed with the vac lines. It basically shifts out of first and freewheels, yes, but then slowly catches as i get slightly faster and faster. It almost seems like it's vacuum related, but everything was fine til I fixed the one piece that was bad :dunno:

Make sure you have a new HELP #47150 check valve down there.. the big end should be open and pointing toward the drivers side fender.

I'm afraid you have the same problem like everyone else, the valves are sticking inside your tranny. Like GutlessSupreme, I just got sick and tired of the auto,..... spending a shit load of money, and no mechanic could zero in on the real problem, so I 5speed the thing. I seriously don't think your vacuum system is the problem their but please, by all means prove me wrong if it is. Jimmy

well, I may just stick a regular tranny in or something if I have to, but it's weird that 1st is great, but nothing else is. I'll change the filter again this weekend (if I have time), but otherwise I don't know what I'll do if the tranny is bad. I may just have to sell her or trade her :sad: I don't think I have enough knowledge/experience/time/money to do a 5 speed swap, although I do know where I could get all the swap parts minus a tranny itself

Just let me add one thing, I really like the way the 4T60(440-T4) shifted. Quick. It was like it had a shifter kit in it. when I use to race the punk kids down the street that thing would eat'em up versus the manual shifting. So if you do know of a really good mechanic( perferably a good friend) I have a long ass video that I had bought when I was going to fix it myself, That shows the whole repair and tips to prevent future problems with this transmission. Let me know if your interested. Jimmy

scan0001-1.jpg

so is the tv cable hooked up and adjusted properly?

Is this a tgp tranny and rebuilt by a reputable shop?

Is there anyway you could get a engine bay pic just for the hell of it since we havent seen it in a while. might help, you never know.

haven't had a chance to check out the TV cable, but it worked fine up until last weekend

This is an original TGP tranny.

I can get a pic, but not til this weekend at or after the meet

i put the old valve on, and it wouldn't stay running without my foot on the gas, but it still seemed to shift the same. I think before I pulled the valve the first time, it was basically holding itself together. I'll have everyone check it out saturday at the meet

Grab a rod magnet (antena like) see if you can pull the valve behind the modulator. It might be stuck. Only way to get it out is with a magnet. Other than that, replace the govenor with a working unit. After that you have to pull the trans :eek: .

well, so I kinda figured a little bit out. First is fine, 2nd kind hesitates to drop in, but not bad at all, 4th is fine, but as soon as it lets out of 2nd to hit third, it basically completely drops out of gears, like in neutral. If going fast enough, it will catch, otherwise you just kinda have to ride a little above idle as it extremely slowly speeds up, until it slowly catches 3rd