• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IRONDOG442

• Crazy K

• ManicMechanic

• AWeb80

My .02cents on the car that was auctioned off today I think this was the body that was used to pace the race in 88. I haven't been able to track down the pace car where abouts as of today. The only thing that does not make sense is the car having a vin#. The mules that were used to make these cars would not have had a vin#s. The hood vent was probly grafted from the 88 hood to this newer one. I could be wrong and most times I am wrong but just my.02 cents.

the car does not have a vin# in the usual spot on the dash so it means it was not built with one, it has a custom VIN# riveted to the core support. All GM show cars have a blank GM vin tag under the windsheild and this car is no exception. I am 90% sure this car is the pace car. I will verify that shortly with one of my GM contacts.

ALL PICTURES ARE AT:

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/1988pacecar/PPG%20Pace%20Car/

AND... SUB FOLDERS within pertain to various areas of the vehicle. I'm also still tagging pics with info.

This car was definitely built for the 1988 race, which car it was, and what cars are where are unknown at this time.

there is definitely two other 88 open toppers out there, one is a tech 4 powered 5 speed test mule, that has probably never had a VIN(underhood tag is not a vin tag) seen at the 07 GM nationals, and the other is at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but I have not seen this car in person, damn thing is hiding every time I go.

No one notice the digitail dash and the lack of a top switch would make me think that this is a butchered pace car. WHAT A PITTY. I feel that this car could have been worth alot more if it was not chopped up.

to reaffirm... this car is a real open top pace car type car. I believe it to be a real open top pace car made for the 88 Indy 500 that has been converted. a shame if you ask me.

Why? What's done is done and honestly, save for the front end, it looks 100X better than the 1988 Indy Pace Car.

Why? What's done is done and honestly, save for the front end, it looks 100X better than the 1988 Indy Pace Car.

loss of originality. which is quite an ambiguous statement, since they made an even more original car out of it! LOL

I do like the lip tail lights. say.... did Taylor know something about this before hand? what with his gold 88???? :willynilly:

no matter how you cut it it is a damn cool car, I am just glad that it was re-purposed and is still around rather then becoming shredder feed at Schrams.

SOLD!!!!!!! for $12,100

I took more pictures. The mileage was 6637 or 6673 or thereabouts.

sounded like a freaking cammed V8, and Irondog442(the real one) was on the phone during the Auction!!!!!

Last but not least.... I OWN working PCs again!!!!!! WOOT for GP1138 And I now have TWO excellent LCD monitors! And I bid and won 2 tripods!!!!! THIS MEANS... MORE PICTURES COMING REAL REAL SOON!!!!!!! (and better pictures at that!)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(I'm stoked!)

General consensus says that this car will probably sell for $10,000-$15,000 price range.

For the record this car is better than the original pace car. Other than the color combo the 1993 and up body style pwns the 1988 body.

So folks, how did I do on this ????