new tgp owner

crazydriver20

i just bought an 89 tgp it has been sitting in a grage for 8 years, its got only 82000 original miles, ive started replacing simple things like plugs wires, and other odds and ends, but when im driving it around it stumbles a little bit then it will run fine but its will only run between 2 and 4 lbs of boost, any help on what i should check or replace, o and ive already ordered a new xover from gm,

For what it's worth man, GM replacement crossovers are as useful as the stock ones...they will also break. There are a couple guys who make replacement crossovers that a guaranteed for the life of the vehicle; and you can find them on this site!

Tell us about your TGP, like what color interior, exterior, leather, sunroof? Some pics would be great!

Welcome to the beautiful meloncholy that is TGP ownership!

Just remember: Search for anything you have questions about, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you can't find something. We're all in this together!

do you smell exhaust from under the hood? through the vents?

I would try a vacuum harness first since its under $50.

what type of plugs and wires did you put on?

well first off, its an 89 red mclaren no sunroof, tan leather, hud, all the goodies, but the abs is shot so i have no brakes whatsoever, i have another abs unit but idk if it is any good because it had already been taken off the tgp in the junk yard,

i can hear the exhaust leaking from the front manifold, i tried emailing jeff m about a crossover and chip but i never got a reply so i was just going to buy a factory replacement, and im located in iowa so there arent any tgps around here, boring iowa!!

also i put oem wires on and bosch platimun plugs, ive also replaced the injectors, changed out some of the vac lines, checked fuel pressure, havnt done a whole lot to it just because im also working on my trans am project,

ill try to post some pics soon

Yeah you won't get a reply back from Jeff. He has been gone for well over a year. Contact TGPilot, he also does the crossover service and offers a couple chips.

What city are you in in Iowa? Krenzy and myself are located in MN.

The Bosch platinum plugs are junk for our cars. It will not run correctly with them. Just get a set of the factory AC Delco R42LTS and you will be set. Same thing runs for O2 sensors on these, don't run anything except AC Delcos.

Nick

100% agree with Nick. I ran Bosch Platinum 4's, ran like total crap. Switched to AC/Delco, and I'll never go anywhere else. Bosch O2 sensors, in my experience, wear out within 6 months...I've had three before I went to AC/Delco. It's more expensive, but it's the only way to go.

Jeff M. has been absent for the longest time, and any crossover repairs you need can be directed to Kenny (TGPilot)...I believe someone else here was going to begin making some, too. I have a Kenny crossover and it's great. Warrantied for life, no less.

close the gap a little and it helps out as well. .040 or even .035.

stock comes at .045 I believe. and that will work but .040 is what I use.

more boost and you need smaller gap basically.

ok ill do that, i think when i put the injectors in they were out of my trans am so i think they are 24# could that be part of the problem too?

ok ill do that, i think when i put the injectors in they were out of my trans am so i think they are 24# could that be part of the problem too?

stock TGP injectors have a 22 lb's per hour rate (22#), so 24's might contribute to a liitle of the poor running but isn't the reason, I'd replace the vacuum lines and obviously the crossover. because I've never seen a non leaking cross over on a completely stock TGP.

for any tuning and quality control, talk to Krenzy. he's got one of the cleanest well maintained TGPs on the road :mrgreen:

The TGP was designed to utilize 22lb injectors. By installing 24lb injectors causes the ecm to FREAK out because it does not know what to do with that extra fuel. You will need to get 22lb injectors OR Get a chip modified to run the larger injectors. I would suggest a chip.. :cool: Good luck

because I've never seen a non leaking cross over on a completely stock TGP.

I have had a few. one that does not leak and another that started to leak but still is not that bad. I am not going to say that all stock xovers leak all the time like a lot of people say. but still, I would recommend an upgrade.

i was just going to get a stock replacement from my local dealer for about 280, then in the future when i start upgrading and upgrade my turbo i was going to get one built for me

thats the price they gave me for a factory discontinued one, im picking it up on friday, i figured since its brand new and not used it wouldnt leak for while, long enough for me to get started on other things like my brake problem

$280?

I called all of my local GM dealers and non of them could special order one.

good for you!!!! that should last a while for sure.

explain the brake problem...because my old TSTE had bad ABS, I had to flip a switch to turn the pump on because it had a bad relay and I think a bad master cylinder.

well my old relay was completely melted from someone putting too large of a fuse in it, so idk whats burned up, but i replaced the relay and the pump ran for about 30 seconds and that was it, hasnt came back on at all, none of my fuses are blown out and the relay is still good, i took the cover off and watched it open and close, so right now im leaning towards a bad pump, any input?

ive searched topics and thought that it could be my pressure switch but im unsure, im going to replace the whole unit with my other one i picked up from a junk yard also im going to change the xover at the same time, i figured it would be easier to tackle both at the same time

well my old relay was completely melted from someone putting too large of a fuse in it, so idk whats burned up, but i replaced the relay and the pump ran for about 30 seconds and that was it, hasnt came back on at all, none of my fuses are blown out and the relay is still good, i took the cover off and watched it open and close, so right now im leaning towards a bad pump, any input?

ive searched topics and thought that it could be my pressure switch but im unsure, im going to replace the whole unit with my other one i picked up from a junk yard also im going to change the xover at the same time, i figured it would be easier to tackle both at the same time

before you replace the pump run a power wire straight from the battery to the power wire on the relay/pump. if it turns on then your problem is the wiring. that happens on some TGP's just because of age or heat degridation.

which wire is it on the relay? can you show me on a pic...i have and extra wireing harness for it

for the whole motor?

I'll find the pic I took.

, i found another abs unit in the junk yard today, so now i have 2 extras plus the one on my car, so hopefully i can a good working seup out of the 3