Premium gas?

Addicted2bass

Does anyone here NOT put premium gas in their TGP?? Ive been using premium since i bought it, but with gas prices they way they are (i paid 3.99 a gallon the other day :eek:) ive been thinking of not putting premium in anymore. Now i know most cars that say they need premium really dont, is this any different because of the turbo.

Basically id just like to know the cons of not using premium.

If you don't ever hit boost and drive it granny style, you could probably get away with it.. but if you plan on hitting any boost, run premium in it.

Never used anything BUT premium. Actually, I just switched over to Shell V-Power, and while it costs more, I'm actually getting much better mileage, and noticeable differences in how it runs...much better.

Does anyone here NOT put premium gas in their TGP?? Ive been using premium since i bought it, but with gas prices they way they are (i paid 3.99 a gallon the other day :eek:) ive been thinking of not putting premium in anymore. Now i know most cars that say they need premium really dont, is this any different because of the turbo.

Basically id just like to know the cons of not using premium.

yeah some newer cars will say for best performance use premium thats what is said in my old GXPs owners manual but that was for a non boosted car. For a boosted car you must use premium fuel no matter what and don't use octane boost to make regular gas premium. I learned the hard way that does not work.

depends on your boost level, engine temp and total timing. These cars were built to use 92 octane but if you took out some timing and/or a couple psi of boost, 89 wouldnt be a problem

half the time 89 is so close in price it's not even worth it. more than once i've seen 89 and 93 priced the same...i mean wtf is the point?

Yea really. Think of it this way. If there's a 20 cent difference between premium and mid, that's $3.30 you'd be saving for filling a completely dry tank. You can hardly buy 2 decent sized candy bars for $3.30.

There are some gas stations I've seen where the price of higher octane is actually CHEAPER. Now I'm not sure why, but I know the higher octane had the 10% ethanol blend...maybe the lower octanes didn't and they want to boost gasahol sales?

Theres one way. Unhook the c-clip from the wastegate arm and take the rod off the wastegate and let it swing open. Now you maybe have 140-160hp. Verry low boost...maybe 1-3psi at most not needing high octane.

Depending on what chip you're running(and your altitude, weather conditions, etc.!), you could probably get away with lower octane fuel. I would advise against running anything but premium though... at least until you have a way of actually SCANNING your car to check for knock.

Well i guess it didnt hurt to ask! I figured the turbo was the reason for the premium gas being needed but i wasnt sure. Premium here is like 3.99. Regular is like 3.72 i think. So its not a huge difference price wise. FWIW when i picked the car up i put regular gas in it because i didnt see the PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL ONLY thing on the cluster. I then drove it about 250 miles home. It has always gotten premium since then though.

long story short, the higher the octane the higher temp the fuel will combust at.

in a turbo car you should definetely use premium, not MUST, but more of a SHOULD.

premium (93)by me is $4.15 and I still fill up with it. for once reason. 87 burns up too quickly to make good MPG's.

IMO spend the extra 1.50-3.00 per tank and save $$ in the long run.

CITCO by me has midgrade priced Sundays, where you can buy premium (93) for the same cost as 89 midgrade... :mrgreen:

long story short, the higher the octane the higher temp the fuel will combust at.

more like the higher octane, the slower the fuel burns.

fuel will burn at any temperature but at higher temps might burn too fast.

It's actually kind of complicated the way it all works. Higher octane is a bit harder to ignite which in turns can create more energy, which helps out with higher compression as well as boost. That's why N/A engines that have high compression ratios (like a lot of Lexus' etc) also require premium. It's definitely a SHOULD and pretty much should always be used to avoid engine knock and such.

I love how my Millenia is supposed to run premium, but I got a letter from Mazda saying not to run premium anymore - instead I should run regular lol..woot!

I love how my Millenia is supposed to run premium, but I got a letter from Mazda saying not to run premium anymore - instead I should run regular lol..woot!

that's really strange for a boosted engine....