3800 into 1991 Z34 lumina

Zracer23

My 3.4 dohc motor busted..go figure right. anyways i was told a 3800 series 2 motor from a specific 1996 buick regal would be a drop in..into my engine bay..my question is...what other engines would be a drop in or close to it with little to some changes needed. im hoping my 1994 buick lesabre might work..thats a 3800 with i think a 4t65e....tranny is a diff subject but im also moving that into my Z. any and all answers are much apreaciated. thanks. travis

If you're going through all the work to swap in a series 1 3800, why not a series 2 supercharged 3800 (L67)?

If you're going through all the work to swap in a series 1 3800, why not a series 2 supercharged 3800 (L67)?

i thought the 96 regal was a series 2? will the L67 fit just the same? how bout that lesabre lol im really fingers crossed on that.

My 3.4 dohc motor busted..go figure right. anyways i was told a 3800 series 2 motor from a specific 1996 buick regal would be a drop in..

What's wrong with your engine?

And yes, it fits. That's about it. You also need a way to control the engine.

what other engines would be a drop in or close to it with little to some changes needed

Another LQ1.

im hoping my 1994 buick lesabre might work..thats a 3800 with i think a 4t65e....

Again, fitting and working are two different things. And it's a 4T60-E. Why are you so adamant about putting a less powerful, shittier motor in?

My 3.4 dohc motor busted..go figure right. anyways i was told a 3800 series 2 motor from a specific 1996 buick regal would be a drop in..

What's wrong with your engine?

And yes, it fits. That's about it. You also need a way to control the engine.

what other engines would be a drop in or close to it with little to some changes needed

Another LQ1.

im hoping my 1994 buick lesabre might work..thats a 3800 with i think a 4t65e....

Again, fitting and working are two different things. And it's a 4T60-E. Why are you so adamant about putting a less powerful, shittier motor in?

well the 3.4 was filled with problems..ontop of that. i mentioned above the engine busted. and performance parts for the L36 is a long list..or the L76..plus i own the lesabre..cheaper. don't get it twisted i miss that 3.4 dohc power but not the limits it came with.

my bad L67* and yea ...engine siezed one day and after tearing down to the block i emptied my oil pan to find loads of coolant

The LQ1 is not filled with problems, and IMHO, it's far more reliable than an L36.

And yes, the L67 is more powerful and pretty reliable, but I don't think you quite understand the process required to get that engine running in your car. It's not a plug and play install. There's custom wiring, transmission issues, powertrain control problems, tuning problems.. It's not going to be drag and drop.

And a '94 LeSabre engine is not an L36 anyway.. it's an L27.

The LQ1 is not filled with problems, and IMHO, it's far more reliable than an L36.

And yes, the L67 is more powerful and pretty reliable, but I don't think you quite understand the process required to get that engine running in your car. It's not a plug and play install. There's custom wiring, transmission issues, powertrain control problems, tuning problems.. It's not going to be drag and drop.

And a '94 LeSabre engine is not an L36 anyway.. it's an L27.

my bust....the regal is a L36...not the lesabre. and i know you know your shit...and your 5600 posts clearly says that but from my personal experience and others ive talked to... that LQ1 is a pain in the ass...to fix/to modd. agree to disagree. off that. what do i need.wireing.tuning...the works..point me in a good direction. as far as engine goes....junkyard it is. what specific engine should i hunt for?

You're going to be looking for any Series II from 96+ in anything really. I'd stick with w-bodies, but they come in Bonnevilles, LeSabres, Regals, Monte Carlos, Impalas, Grand Prixs, Park Avenues, etc etc I'm sure I'm forgetting one.

http://www.motorswap.org

this site is great for doing the swap.

• Like 1

You're going to be looking for any Series II from 96+ in anything really. I'd stick with w-bodies, but they come in Bonnevilles, LeSabres, Regals, Monte Carlos, Impalas, Grand Prixs, Park Avenues, etc etc I'm sure I'm forgetting one.

http://www.motorswap.org

this site is great for doing the swap.

awesome thanks!

I was considering that swap in my z34, untill I realized the amounts of fires and damage going on in the 3800. yes its easier to mod and maybe to fix (the only problems with my LQ1 comes with age and being driven) but is that really worth risking your entire car for?

I was considering that swap in my z34, untill I realized the amounts of fires and damage going on in the 3800. yes its easier to mod and maybe to fix (the only problems with my LQ1 comes with age and being driven) but is that really worth risking your entire car for?

it the 3800s are properly maintained, they will not catch fire

If you fix the problem that causes the fire, you have nothing to worry about.

I have cars with both LQ1s and L36s in them and IMHO the Lq1 is much easier to work on then the L36, if you want something that will never break just put a LH0 in it and call it golden while you cruise down the highway listening to "girls just wanna have fun"