Why you should Change Plugs

sonofjabba

I got my car off an older guy (65) that let someone else do his maintenance. Or at least tell him that. Since he told he that his "mechanic" tuned it up every year I figured they might have at least put a set of plugs in it since it still had Packard wires on it.. WRONG I was Assuming...

OE AC With 122K on them No wonder the car was getting 19MPG.. 1994 Luminia 3.1L I did a set of AC Delco Wires on it. Runs SMOOTH AS GLASS! Hums along nice at 80...

acplugsbad01.jpg

acplugsbad02.jpg

Some Gap I measured it out at 0.90.... I amazed the car ran at all.

I'll detail my car again & take some fresh pics.

if you ever talk to that guy again, you should probably tell him that he's getting screwed in the butt every time he takes his vehicles in. Heck, save a plug!

I am ashamed to say that I ran mine for 165K without replacing the plugs. It ran great however, it dropped on mpg and it got to where it turned over several times before starting. When I pulled them I couldnt believe it, the gap was so big that you couldnt measure it with the gap tool, you could just spin the tool all the way around. I'm amazed at how well these 3.1's run.

Sounds to me like somebody cross threaded them or didnt lube the threads last time they were replaced. I usually put a little engine assembly lube on the threads when i put them back in. That is a must on aluminum heads. A good rule of thumb is to turn the plug counter clockwise until you feel the threads of the plug set down into the whole, then screw the plug in. I always start them with my fingers, never a socket.

I'm amazed at how well these 3.1's run.

They lack the power to "get out of their own way" but when it comes to reliability... ch'yea, I am happy-ish with my 3.1

Thanks for the reminder, its been over a year since plugs/wires went on my car. I'm sure its about time. :leaving:

I'm amazed at how well these 3.1's run.

They lack the power to "get out of their own way" but when it comes to reliability... ch'yea, I am happy-ish with my 3.1

Thanks for the reminder, its been over a year since plugs/wires went on my car. I'm sure its about time. :leaving:

ya, i am trying to talk my brother in to geting a 3.1 because of there well know reliability, that and it would be his first W-Body. :smile: