A/C not working

jmoore4294

My A/C stopped working one day last summer. The day before, it was working, so for right now, I guess I'll cut out the possibility of the compressor gone bad. Should I start with the relay? Or the switch? Thanks.

Nope. Absolutely nothing. Which is why I'm leaning toward something electrical.

I charged mine recently and it was bone dry and took a long while before the compressor kicked on. It did not make that click on sound but the vents eventually pushed out cold air.

Shadow is right. A/C systems can take a long time to take a freon charge especially out of the small ass bottles of R134a commonly available. The compressor clutch won't engage if the system is low.

I don't understand your first post. Are you saying the A/C system didn't work for a while and suddenly started working again? If that's the case you probably have a wiring problem. If an A/C system is low it isn't going to build up enough pressure on it's own to engage the compressor.

No. I was saying that one day, it was working just fine, then the very next day it wasn't working at all. The compressor would not engage at all. So, should I just try to recharge it with a few cans, and see if that works?

Check to see how much is in it first...If it's full then don't try to put more freon in it. I'd try a relay first, grab one for free from a junkyard. Or just switch it with a similar one from underhood and see if it works.

Put a gauge on the system to see the pressure. If you're low on freon add until you reach the right pressure and the compressor clutch should engage.

If you are fine on freon pressure, look at the compressor wiring. As Manic said you can swap relays, and the compressor can also be jumped with a 12v wire to determine if the compressor is still good.

Bought some freon with a gauge on it. Hooked it up, and it was borderline ADD so I added hardly any until it was full. Still nothing. None of the relays under the hood match up to the compressor relay, so I'll just order one off Rock Auto for like $8. If that doesn't work, I'll check the wiring, and try that 12v wire trick mentioned above. Thanks guys.

Pull the AC relay out and jump the terminals

If the compressor turns on, the compressor is good. If the compressor doesn't come on, you could have a bad connection, or it is likely that your compressor has died.