QUESTION ON ELECTRONIC CLIMATE CONTROL

Brian P

Is it normal for the ECC to run the AC compressor at ALL TIMES? All temperature and vent settings? If so, WHY! Why do I need the AC on when I want 90 degree air? And to tell me "keeps the air dry" is not good enough. If this is "normal" then Ill install a toggle switch that will cut the signal to the compressor (at the climate conrol) thanks for any input...

ECC likes to run the compressor any time the outside temp is above freezing. I don't know why this is though. My biggest complaint about my 89 CS was that the climate control system did not have a "econ" mode, like I wished it had.

Well, the compressor has a function to turn off below 40F I think. Doesnt matter which climate control you have. If I wire in that switch to kill the compressor turn on lead (at the control- why bother having a "turn on lead" if it's just going to run it all the time?) that is the equivalent of an "econ" mode. I guess it's a bad idea to get a used compressor off of any Cutlass with an electronic climate control!

Have heard that A/C systems fail from disuse. Seals go and refrigerant leaks out. Would rob power though, especially with a 2.8, unless the ECM opens the clutch on acceleration.

Someone gave me a 1970 Frigidaire, worked great as a beer fridge though the temp dial was frozen in one position. Bought a house that came with a fridge, so the Frigidaire sat unused for a year. Gave it to a friend, we helped move it to their place, died after running 15 minutes :(

Too bad, it looked nice and the doors & shelves were built a lot more sturdy than our two 1990's fridges. There was a GM logo inside the door, Frigidaire was owned by General Motors up until the early 70s, and built appliances to last. Some are gaining value as collectibles, like the pink '50s washer & dryer shown here:

http://www.classicappliances.com

Too bad, it looked nice and the doors & shelves were built a lot more sturdy than our two 1990's fridges. There was a GM logo inside the door, Frigidaire was owned by General Motors up until the early 70s, and built appliances to last. Some are gaining value as collectibles, like the pink '50s washer & dryer shown here:

http://www.classicappliances.com

Heheh, I actually knew Frigidaire was owned by GM!

I learned of that when I was researching Frigidaire refrigerators, because although we had heard from friends and also read in Consumer Reports that Whirlpool fridges are the best, but at the store we actually preferred the Frigidaire. We ended up getting Whirlpool anyway (less depth and matches the dishwasher & stove), but I did pick up that little GM fun fact while researching them!

All right, I have a stupid question. I have a '91 Regal GS sedan as you guys already know. How do I know if it has electronic climate control? There's no separate A/C button, but the manual simply says you use "Norm" for regular A/C and "Max" for maximum A/C. "Bi-Level" and "Defog" also use A/C, but "Vent" doesn't. The manual also states that the A/C automatically kicks in if it's above 12 degrees celsius. If it's below 12 degrees celsius it doesn't use A/C. I also have separate driver/'passenger temperature controls but I don't think that should have anything to do with it. Thanks.

By "electronic climate control", these guys are talking about an AUTOMATIC climate control.

Set the digital readout to the desired temperature, and the ECC decides by itself whether to heat, cool, and chooses blower speed to best maintain the selected temperature.

For me, it's pretty much set it, and forget it. For my wife, she's more sensitive or something, she's always too cold or too hot, and has to fidget with it. :roll:

No gen 1 W-body has it except the Cutlass Supreme.