• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krenzy

• Shifter23

• ManicMechanic

• Garrett Powered

TGP owners tend to be fanatics who buy 2 or 3 running TGP's, another TGP as a parts car, and basically won't drive much else. That's why there's so many TGP's on this site. I bet there's actually more TGP owners here than Cutlass Vert owners.

Nothing wrong with that, they just seem extremely devoted to their cars. More so than I would ever be to a specific make or model.

I parted out a TGP years ago to throw the motor into one of my AWD 6000s. I now have a 2-door and 4-door Turbo GP, though they will be sold within the next couple of months, as well as the remaining AWD. But being the TGP is rare due to performance oriented reasons, there is a far greater likelyhood that an owner will research what s/he can do to the car, and along the way, discover that it's rare vs. something like the 6000 AWDs, or Celebrity Eurosport VRs, which are usually owned by people who have no clue what they're driving, nor would they ever care.

Speaking of rare, I know someone who has a turbo sunbird sitting in their back yard. I don't know much about it, but it is pretty solid except for the giant spider I had to fight to look at the interior.

Yes, they're as rare as claimed.

I think we have 729 1989's recorded so far(Pontiac quoted "750" and "751" made for 1989 back in the early 90's). 1990 figures quoted from Pontiac range from 2,725 to 2,749 for the coupes and then there are 1,000 turbocharged sedans(Turbo STE's) made. So total production is roughly 4500ish for all of the turbo Grand Prix's spanning both years. A lot of the TGP's on ebay are quickly resold due to some of the common problems they have. I know I've seen a few that have been through 3-4 owners within a years time.

They are getting more rare by the day. I have seen numerous TGPs wrecked, being parted out, or left in a field to rot. I was on carpart.com pretty recently and there were 45 TGP motors listed up for sale.. so they are getting more and more rare all the time.

due to a loss of a functioning computer... the VIN project will have to be started over...

but yeah, I thing the figure above came from me.

and for a record... I think one car popped up.... that had 47 records!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I see someone didn't back UP HIS FILES.

are you kidding? nothing electronic that I own works.

I have...

3 broken computers

a broken tv set.

7 broken cars.

stay away from me I'm electro-mechanical cancer!!! :redface:

i need to contact the program writer and start over. there were a few glitches.

due to a loss of a functioning computer... the VIN project will have to be started over...

but yeah, I thing the figure above came from me.

and for a record... I think one car popped up.... that had 47 records!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

The red one I bought(1G5WP14V2LF243111) had 22 records. A lot of them were emissions test records. It failed a few times. :lol:

And Ken, when you get that program back up and running, send me a list of those VIN's!

I have...

3 broken computers

a broken tv set.

7 broken cars.

But stuff like that, Ken, it's a good idea to even email them to yourself...That way you can keep all the records...

I keep all 20,000 CS VINS I have so far on disc and emailed to myself.

speaking of the rarity, does anyone have an exact number from GM on these, cuz I have seen so many different reported production numbers...

Matt addressed the production numbers issue already...

Pontiac quoted "750" and "751" made for 1989. 1990 figures quoted from Pontiac range from 2,725 to 2,749 for the coupes and then there are 1,000 turbocharged sedans (Turbo STE's) made. So total production is roughly 4500ish for all of the turbo Grand Prix's spanning both years.

BTW, why is this in the "Whatever!" section instead of the TGP or General section? :neutral:

Official numbers? No. We may never, since apparently ASC/McLaren never kept records of the TGP/TSTE run. They were sent to ASC/McLaren as fully loaded SE models, and that's where Pontiac ended the tracking of them. It's been said that 750 ish were made in 1989, but I remember reading it was actually 995~ish, due to engineering flaws/setbacks that year, where they had to shut down and fix the problems. Which is why more 1990's exist.

TSTE's have always been consistant with 1000 made, no more and no less.

Matt addressed the production numbers issue already...

Pontiac quoted "750" and "751" made for 1989. 1990 figures quoted from Pontiac range from 2,725 to 2,749 for the coupes and then there are 1,000 turbocharged sedans (Turbo STE's) made. So total production is roughly 4500ish for all of the turbo Grand Prix's spanning both years.

BTW, why is this in the "Whatever!" section instead of the TGP or General section? :neutral:

Your cant post whatever in the whatever section?

whatever :wink:

I got a 1989 that was built in 1989 but it was actually a 90 model year.

I talked with the original owner I bought it from and he said he ordered it sometime in 89 but with all the options he wanted, no sunroof, red, tan cloth, tape deck, somehow with that combo they couldnt produce that until the next run of 90's cars.

I think they were trying to hook this guy up because he was a fanatical pontiac guy and his kid worked for the dealership in Idaho so they kind of made sure he got what he wanted. but I wasnt there so I dont know that for sure obviously.

I parted out a TGP years ago to throw the motor into one of my AWD 6000s. I now have a 2-door and 4-door Turbo GP, though they will be sold within the next couple of months, as well as the remaining AWD. But being the TGP is rare due to performance oriented reasons, there is a far greater likelyhood that an owner will research what s/he can do to the car, and along the way, discover that it's rare vs. something like the 6000 AWDs, or Celebrity Eurosport VRs, which are usually owned by people who have no clue what they're driving, nor would they ever care.

did the motor ever get put in that car? thats just fun to think about doing. I got a friend who just got his dsm awd turbo going. its all sooped up and I heard its a monster. I gotta get something to compete. :lol:

I have...

3 broken computers

a broken tv set.

7 broken cars.

I have a nice Toshiba 32" TV I will sell you for $50