WTF Happened to my Car?

mra32

Today I was driving back home from a 180 mile round trip interview excursion and I was driving 80 pretty much the whole time and as I am on the offramp on the highway, like a mile away from home, I hear a pop and then clunking happening proportional to the speed of the car in the drivers side front wheel area.

The day prior to this, I was noticing a popping noise that happened sometimes when my car sprang back up after coming to a stop.

The clunking can also be felt when braking.

Any ideas?

Well I can't tell what it is, but I can tell you what it might be.

Cradle mounts ever been done? Ball joints?

Jack the car up and start moving shit is really all I can say.

Well I can't tell what it is, but I can tell you what it might be.

Cradle mounts ever been done? Ball joints?

Jack the car up and start moving shit is really all I can say.

Agreed

Oh hey i figured out what it was and I must say I'm a little embarassed for multiple reasons.

The pop I heard was a lugnut stud thing breaking off and the subsequent rythmic clunking was the wheel wobbling around. It would also explain why my wheel was popping as my car popped up after stopping.

I cant believe that I didnt see that when I got out and looked at my car on the offramp...and I can't believe that I let my wheel get that way.

So obviously, it cant be good to drive around with 4 lugs, but it should be fine for me to drive down to the yard to pick up another stud and lugnut, right?

Oh hey i figured out what it was and I must say I'm a little embarassed for multiple reasons.

The pop I heard was a lugnut stud thing breaking off and the subsequent rythmic clunking was the wheel wobbling around. It would also explain why my wheel was popping as my car popped up after stopping.

I cant believe that I didnt see that when I got out and looked at my car on the offramp...and I can't believe that I let my wheel get that way.

So obviously, it cant be good to drive around with 4 lugs, but it should be fine for me to drive down to the yard to pick up another stud and lugnut, right?

As long as the other 4 are in good shape driving with 4 is fine, just don't try and top out your car or anything

As long as the other 4 are in good shape driving with 4 is fine, just don't try and top out your car or anything

and go to the dealership for a new stud and lugnut - they will sell you a shorter one so you don't have to remove the hub to it on.

Its no big deal, Ive gotten studs off of w-bodies where the hub was still on. Its not a myth, you can do it. There is a cutout in the back of the hub that lets you slide it through. And if it needs to be shorter, I can make quick work of it with a cutoff wheel and a grinder.

i've been driving on 4 wheel studs on one of my front wheels for a month or so... haven't gotten around to replacing it.

i drove to fatheads and came back in a truck that was missing 4 lugnuts.

I would remove the 4 wheel bearing bolts which will allow the bearing to slide out and have a full stud replacement. While you can buy new lugs, I have used used lug studs when I had some available from a bad wheel bearing I had not yet discarded.