New Tires! input please

EviLette

225/65/16 IIRC on stock GP wheels, durh. LOL.

I've had goodyear eagle (aquatreads?) for the last year or so and really liked the tires.. they handle well, and do well both in rain and snow/slush, but I've heard people say that they suck for getting patched.. and the one time I had to have one patched because i picked up a nail, when re-mounting the bead got ripped and it wouldn't hold air.

My question is this:

Good tire, not too damn expensive, preferably one that is directional/water shed. Any ideas? I don't have a lot of money, as I'm doing this immediately following yet ANOTHER tie rod replacement and alignment.

in 92 the stock size was 245/50/16, in 94 it changed to 225/60/16

What is your budget?

What are the key points your looking for in a new tire? All season? summer? performance?

I've been shopping around for my own tires, looking for a higher performance tire, I've got mine down to the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, and the Fuzion ZRi.

Here are a couple links to the pages on tire rack for these tires, read through the customer feedback, specs and all that...

Goodyear; http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3&partnum=45YR6F1GSD3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

Fuzion; http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=ZRi

Jamie

I've had absolutely amazing experiences with my Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 in light and deep snow, rated best in their class in every category. They also have excellent wet and dry traction, though I believe they're being discontinued. I got them for $75 apiece. Unfortunately, they are only made for 14 and 15" rims. :cry: Their new Firehawk lineup isn't anywhere near as great.

However, you might want to take a look at this chart for high performance all season tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HPAS

Falken Ziex Ze512 - no complaints here at all, awesome wet, dry, etc. Rim protection also a plus.

everyone i know that has run these said they had a shorter life than claimed.

Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread.... end of story...

Oh, and the Fuzions suck in snow and heavy rain... HRi's and the ZRi's....

If you want a nice ride, then go with Michelin...

Falken Ziex Ze512 - no complaints here at all, awesome wet, dry, etc. Rim protection also a plus.

I know there was a thread asking about these tires and I put my input in. You could look there. I will now add that snow traction is frightening on those. As in i hit a curb which wouldn't have happened on my crappy touring tires. I did also upgrade from 195's to 225's.

Both are classed as a summer tire, not an all season, so thats why they suck in the snow, lol. Like I said in my first post, it really depends on what she is looking for. And although I can't comment just yet because I haven't even seen a set in person, their tire rack review got a 7.31/10 for wet track.

Michelins are really good tires! Especially if you like tires that wear quick and get no traction in the snow. My mom had them on her Grand Am, she had a summer set and a winter set (bought both sets when she first got the car), the winters got less traction than my 3 year old all seasons, and the summers only last her about 1.5 summers. My mother is 65, and definitely not beating hard on them.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Goodyear Eagle F1s, more pricey but Matt (93luminaz34) love his.

Jamie

eh, maybe but for 225 60 16 tires for about 75 bucks per tire, you cant beat it. I never had this problem but who knows.

I ran BFG Traction T/A's and were a very nice directional tire all year on my 93 GP. I believe Tire Rack has them, although a lot of local guys carry them too. I've got them on my Pontiac Fiero and am still in love with them

I ran BFG Traction T/A's and were a very nice directional tire all year on my 93 GP. I believe Tire Rack has them, although a lot of local guys carry them too. I've got them on my Pontiac Fiero and am still in love with them

I got them on my Mx6, do you notice alot of tire noise with them? :confused?:

I have Pirelli P4's on the Regal. $66 each from Tire Rack and I've been very impressed.

Alright, good. I was getting the impression people hated Firestone for some reason, when I've absolutely love the ones I'm using.

I think you're probably looking for something a little more performance based than those Pirellis. My 1995 is just the 3.1 so I'm not out to impress in the speed catagory.

We use Firestones on some of the cars at my work - they take a regular beating and have held up better than the Kumhos and other assorted round rubber the local shop hoists on us.

Both are classed as a summer tire, not an all season, so thats why they suck in the snow, lol. Like I said in my first post, it really depends on what she is looking for. And although I can't comment just yet because I haven't even seen a set in person, their tire rack review got a 7.31/10 for wet track.

Michelins are really good tires! Especially if you like tires that wear quick and get no traction in the snow. My mom had them on her Grand Am, she had a summer set and a winter set (bought both sets when she first got the car), the winters got less traction than my 3 year old all seasons, and the summers only last her about 1.5 summers. My mother is 65, and definitely not beating hard on them.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Goodyear Eagle F1s, more pricey but Matt (93luminaz34) love his.

Jamie

I have basically brand new Fuzion HRi's on my CS and they do suck in rain.... Not impressed with them, but they stay on there since they were brand spankin new when I bought the car...lol

And Michelins not lasting??? Maybe if an alignment if off or there is front end issues and of course incorrect tire pressure... There are some cheapo Michelins, and yeah, they are gonna be a 30000 mile tire is all is well suspension wise, but so are most Goodyears. Get a good Michelin for ride quality or the Goodyear Assurance Triple tread for great all season traction, directional looks, good handling response, and of course, they are a 80000 mile tire... I have family members with them, and I own some sitting in my garage, as well as countless amounts I have installed on customer cars.... Great Tire... :high5:

I loved my fuzion zri's, I have never driven them in the snow/slush though, but while I had them on last summer they were awesome. Goodyear Regatta 2's are good all round tires, not amazing, but I think they have pretty good traction and good treadwear

I loved my fuzion zri's, I have never driven them in the snow/slush though, but while I had them on last summer they were awesome. Goodyear Regatta 2's are good all round tires, not amazing, but I think they have pretty good traction and good treadwear

Regatta 2's are about to be discontinued, which means some tire shops might drop the price. I know will be doing a BOGO deal on them when the time comes soon at my work... They are decent in snow to say.... I wouldnt use them in snow, that is what snow tires are for :lol:

Regatta 2's are about to be discontinued, which means some tire shops might drop the price. I know will be doing a BOGO deal on them when the time comes soon at my work... They are decent in snow to say.... I wouldnt use them in snow, that is what snow tires are for :lol:

Yea, but around here, we dont really get any considerable amount of snow, so basically any tire will work all year

I have Pirelli P4's on the Regal. $66 each from Tire Rack and I've been very impressed.

Me too! Cheap tire. Can't complain. I paid $88 at a tire store though :lol:

I have run those and they do have a short life, although while they are there they are good tires.... i dont know if I should worry about spending the extra money on a long-life tire when I don't know (a) how much long it will be a daily driver and (B) how long till the next part on my front end fails and eats the tires. >.<

We don't get a whole lot of snow around here, and I had the Goodyear Eagle's on my car for the last snow, and they did just AWESOME, I can't express. But then again, I've never had nice "tires" never really had a cause to complain.. if they had tread and held air I was happy lol.

Also, as Flanders said, I've just got a 3.1, so speed/performance rating isn't a concern... I dont make my car go above 75 EVER anymore...

And on the tire size... I know the size I'm running is 225/60(or)65/16... but you're saying the fac size was different.. and that is a bit of a cause for concern, cuz that is the same size tire I've been putting on since I got the car, they were what was on when I got it... they look like they fit right in the fender wells (I thought) but they do catch a bit on the front trim for the B4U. I always thought it happened cuz the car's suspension was toast when I got it, so the car sat lower, and it just warped the pieces as they caught.

I don't know. LOL.

I don't want to spend a tremendous amount of money, and the last set I did it was like 120 for all four tires, 35 a piece for the goodyears, as they were used tires.

Your probably running a 60 series tire... Thats what I have on my car too. If you go down to the 245 50s they are about .5" less sidewall, so if your only JUST rubbing, that would probably stop it.

What Goodyear Eagles did you have? they have a whole series under that name.

Jamie

Go with the General Altimax RT from the TireRack in 225/60/16. Super long treadlife, great all-season tire with good wet-handling.

I would recommend a different tire if you were more concerned with speed & handling but the Altimax is a great all-around touring tire for those on a budget.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+RT&partnum=26TR6AMAXRT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=11

The Yokohama Avid Touring is another fine tire that would be well suitied to your driving style:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+Touring&partnum=26SR6TOUR&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=13