New tgp purchase and owner

shadow

I purchased a 90 tgp that I am having shipped to me. Is there any problem areas I should look for? This will be driven locally only and will be kinda like my own collector car as I dont see any around here. My current ride is a 2002 745i and a roushcharged F150.

Thx

Welcome, and get some pics as soon as you get it! any more info on the car? where are you located???

Now some things to do before you drive it to ensure it runs as good as it can!

Full tune up, including all sensors, plugs, wires, fuel filter

new chip

new Kazmotorsports crossover( if not already rebuilt)

Change all fluids

Drive the hell out of it!! :gears:

Congrats on your new TGP! Make sure you find our way to TGPForums.com, and introduce yourself there.

PLEASE be sure to do the following immediately before driving, since it will help save you from headaches and problems:

- Replace ALL sensors, O2 sensor, Idle Air Control, Throttle Position, Crank Sensor, plugs, wires, coils. TRUST me, it may seem spendy especially at first, but it does pay off to have all these sensors changed. I found out the hard way, as did many others.

- Replace the crossover. If it has a metal heat-shield around it, it's original and bad. You WILL need to replace it, and Kenny (TGPilot on tgpforums.com) will take your old one and replace the blown bellows...usually the bellows only have hairline cracks, but those little cracks let out so much.

- Change your oil and transmission fluid as soon as you can. Again, peace of mind.

- The last BIG thing is: ASK. If you have a question or want to know something, we hide NOTHING. All of us TGP owners look out for one another, and want to help, so ask.

Post pictures of both the Turbo Prix and your other cars!

Why is everyone so gung-ho about oh you're a new TGP owner, then you HAVE to buy a chip!Kyle, you have ridden in my TGP and it is completely stock with a Jeff M. x-over and C302 injectors and it runs pretty well. I still need to do some basic work to it, but it is definitely driveable with the stock chip.

You guys DO realize that these cars run fine with the stock chips, right? :lol:

Sorry, but it just seems like everyone has been saying that lately, when in all reality, you don't need a $450 chip to make your car run well. If you don't do a tuneup and crossover first, a chip won't do much for you. Do the basics, like a tune-up and replace the OEM crossover first. After that, you decide if you want a chip or not.

Congrats on the purchase man, hope to see ya around here and on TGPforums. :cool:

I think the most important is motor and tranny mounts. as well as struts and .035 gap STOCK dealership AC delco plugs. fuel filter maybe. O-ring that leaks oil all over your new mounts. ground wires. shit like that.

oh and what about the vacuum harness? without that and new vac fittings on the turbo and stuff it will never run good.

Nick,

Good point about the chip.

I guess I just think that people are going to want to add some performance since they did buy a turbo car......guess it's just what I would do if I bought a TGP.

But yes, to Shadow, the most important things you can do is full tune up, flush fluids, vac lines, and then the chip.

you can flush the tranny till its brand new but if you dont change the filter right after it will still slush itself. so dont go to the dealership like I did 7 years ago because they failed to mention that and tranny went bye bye.

Grats and welcome!

Don't get overwhelmed :) these cars were lovingly made and if you take it slow you

can spend just 5 to 10 bucks on those little vactite fittings and it will make a huge difference!

I am learning so much about these cars, I've had mine for just a few months but theses forums

have years and years of experience. These guys know what they are talking about :)

Just go slow..fluids, filters, mounts, all great advice :)

grats again and welcome!

-Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome. What color TGP did you purchase? :cool:

Red with brown leather. I am so excited about this car. I would like to fix it up and hopefully keep it as a classic rare Pontiac. I am scared cause I know the ABS light comes on each time you press the brakes. Here are a few pics of my other cars. Is the ABS light problem easy and cheap to fix?

SANY0081.jpg

SANY0074.jpg

SANY0055.jpg

P1000563.jpg

Yeah pull the bulb out LOL. No, seriously though, you need to figure out the cause of why it's going off. Might just be a wheel speed sensor. They go out very often on these cars. Hopefully you're PowerMaster III unit isn't taking a crap; another common problem, this one is NOT easy and NOT cheap at all to fix.

PowerMaster III ? How much am I looking at for that fix? Anyway to test to make sure its not my PowerMaster III? If not what can be done to prolong the life of it? The car stops fine and the ABS still works.

Thanks this is just all new to me so I may have lots of questions.

Chris

Your PowerMasterIII is your brake master cylinder/brake booster.

First question, is the ABS light flashing, or on steady?

Your PowerMasterIII is your brake master cylinder/brake booster.

First question, is the ABS light flashing, or on steady?

The light flashes and I think I hear the pump come on?

Well there are a few things it could be. With a flashing ABS light, your ABS will still function. (ABS light on steady is means ABS has been disabled).

First, make sure your master cylinder is full of brake fluid.

Next, go in the car and turn the key to on, but don't start the car.

Pump the brake pedal. It is normal for the brake pump to cycle every 3-5 presses.

Report back with how many presses it takes for the brake pump to run and we'll go from there.

Nick

Well there are a few things it could be. With a flashing ABS light, your ABS will still function. (ABS light on steady is means ABS has been disabled).

Pump the brake pedal. It is normal for the brake pump to cycle every 3-5 presses.

Report back with how many presses it takes for the brake pump to run and we'll go from there.

Nick

The light stays solid sometimes while driving and seems very hard to push to stop?

Nick

Check these things first.