elimination

SuperBuick

On my 1992 Lumina Z34, my ABS pump is cycling way too frequently, and it is causing an ABS code. My worry is not the Code, but the pump. Which fuse do I pull in order to "turn the pump off". Under the hood on the driver side, there are 3 fuses, 2 small and a huge one. Anyone familiar with which one to pull to disable the ABS system, I would appreciate your help. the last thing I want is the pump to blow. - Tom

Guest Anonymous

I pulled the fuse in the glove box on my TGP once. Not a good idea. I had good brakes at first. After I got into town I lost all pressure and had no brakes. So I put the fuse back in. Now I have no brakes again, cause my PM III burned up.

What I'm saying is be careful if you pull any fuses. Keep your speed down until your sure you won't lose brakes.

I swear I saw an "ABS" fuse in my '94 Cutty!

Correct, but I saw 3!!!!! in my lumina. A little one, a medium one, and a huge one, all under the hood right behind the battery remote positive terminal. Which one should I eliminate?

"I may not be a smart man Jenny" "but I know that if you have no pump you got no brakes" No I haven't tested it. Maybe you'll get lucky and have 'hard to get' brakes.

But if pumping 20plus times relieves the presure in the brake resivoir i'd guess that you're gonna loose it all in 20 pumps or so driving.

On my 1992 Lumina Z34, my ABS pump is cycling way too frequently, and it is causing an ABS code. My worry is not the Code, but the pump. Which fuse do I pull in order to "turn the pump off". Under the hood on the driver side, there are 3 fuses, 2 small and a huge one. Anyone familiar with which one to pull to disable the ABS system, I would appreciate your help. the last thing I want is the pump to blow. - Tom

I've been having some problems too with the Powermaster lately and I've had to start to read up on it (i've the original bigass GM manual for 1989/90 Cutlass Supreme)

The PowerMaster has a main electric pump motor and a nitrogen charged Accumulator. You can hear your pump if you turn the key on without starting the engine. The pump is not supposed to run longer than 40 seconds if everything is ok. If there's an internal leak somewhere in the PM then the pump may never stop and will cycle like a bitch while driving. On my car I've noticed that power braking dissapears sometimes, which makes it almost impossible to do emergency stops with a car this heavy on manual pedal. Taking out some of the fuses might make it much worse since there's only one main pump (no such thing as a seperate ABS pump). This thing keeps the system pressure around 2700psi. If the pressure drops below 1800psi the red brake warning light comes on the dash and you might start to get ABS codes flashing.

The Z34 does NOT have powermaster, and as such it it OK to disconnect the ABS...which takes us back to the root problem...how does one do this. there are 3 fuses, I just need to know which one to pull. thanks :D -Tom

Guest Anonymous
I have the PowerMaster in my TGP, and the pump runs every time I step on the brake pedal. Normal, or not?

That is not normal... that's what it does when it's going bad. Eventually it will run constantly until it completely quits like mine did last week.

pull em all and let a norse god sort em out!

Hey ben, how's about I pull 'em and then you go for a drive. you can come back and tell me if the brakes are working or not.... :wink:

-Tom

no to be a jerk....but show me that vacuum assist line on a powermaster III system.

Pulling aABS fuses may not be a problem as related to anti-loc, but the point is the pump. That is the power assist. No vacuum assist.

As I'd said earlier, they might work but I know that pedal turns completely stiff after about 20 of those 40 pumps.

Mine runs about 3 to 7 seconds every 4 to 6 brakings. It runs maybe 20 to 30 seconds at start up. Sometimes less, depends on outside temp.

no to be a jerk....but show me that vacuum assist line on a powermaster III system.

Pulling aABS fuses may not be a problem as related to anti-loc, but the point is the pump. That is the power assist. No vacuum assist.

Tom doesn't have the PM III, he has ABS VI.

That said, I flipped through my whole binder of schematics, and I found one for a 92 Cutlass!

Pulling the ABS fuse in the interior fuse center should do the trick.

It's the "car is switched ON" feed to the EBCM. With that fuse removed, the EBCM has no idea that you turned on the car, so the ABS should not work. It also disables the ABS relay.

All hail Shawn Lin, God of the W-Bodies!!!

Seriously..thanks alot Shawn. I really didn't feel comfortable screwing around wih brakes until I had talked it over with people who knoew the story behind it. I appreciate you looking at those diagrams. - Tom