Upper/Lower Fill Line!?

Fleeingpepper

I recently filled up my hydraulic pump with more fluid because the top was having trouble going up and down. Everywhere I looked just said put the fluid in there, not saying to pay attention to any fill lines. So I filled the fluid up to near the top of the reservoir. Today while browsing the forums I saw this service manual and looked through it some.

http://www.polar.icestorm.com/sfl/cutlass/convertible_top_info.pdf

It's for 1995 'verts, my year, so everything is up to date for my car.

Well page 26 with the labels says there's an upper and lower fill line. I didn't see any lines because of the way the pump is positioned back in the car. Soo to get it out would I need to siphon it or what? And how much damage might I have done by over filling it? Is it even worth the trouble to take some out?

Yes, you are correct.

Well the top was up. But I didn't fill it ALL THE WAY.

So I guess I can put the top down and look at how high the fluid got, maybe loosen the cap so if the fluid overflows it would drain out instead of putting pressure on the assembly.

At least I won't have to re fill it for a loooong time, even if I have a leak! :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...

You can overfill and blow the oring seal. You can negotiate the seal back and that's a lot of fun. Best to do what you already said and loosen the cap while going through the motions. Have a towel handy.