Which power steering line did I blow up *UPDATE PG.2*

1990lumina

FUCK THIS PIECE OF SHIT CAR!

I get out of school today early feeling pretty good, I know it's starting itself every 3 hours so I know it will start.

I get in and go to reverse and turn - no power assist. First I thought my belt was gone or something, but I had assist right up until I turned the car off this morning. I popped the hood, saw oil at the bottom, and the parking stall had fucking oil EVERYWHERE. GRRRRR!!

Get home, jack it up and snapped this picture. Which hose is blown here, how hard is it tor replace? I have no patience for this shit in the cold - probably just drive the car to a shop have them change it out tomorrow.

Thanks

DSCN4079Large.jpg

THAT IS THE LOW

VERY VERY VERY VERY FING EASY.

you can see that the line that has failed is a rubber hose. You need to remove the rubber house that you can see is covered in fluid. it looks like they are crimped ends. I would use a hacksaw blade to cut out that section, and then just replace it. Get a new piece of tranny hose and some hose clamps. I coat the end of the metal line with lubricant and slip it on. if you want to go one step further... flare the line ends so that hose can't pop off.

VERY EASY SIMPLE AND CHEAP.

and no.. I won't come over to do it for you. I have to do the same with a tranny line on the 94 right now.

Thanks Ken - I feel a little better about it now. I thought I was going to have to replace the whole steel line.

Do you know off hand what diameter hose I need? Will regular hose clamps hold it on there? I figure I should be able to push the hose over both ends at least 1.5" or so..use two clamps on both sides and it should be okay - at least till it warms up and I can fix it properly.

also, how much power steering fluid do I need ot buy to fill the system again? Can I use dextron, or what is the recommended fluid for my power steering? Thanks a lot Ken, and everyone else - I hate workig in the cold so I appreciate the help so I can just go out and do what I need to do and come back in. Off to shower, then pick up a friend with my sister's car, and then I'll get the coveralls on and go to work (probably gonna pick up supplies if I know what I need while I'm out) Thanks!

I figure I should be able to push the hose over both ends at least 1.5" or so..use two clamps on both sides and it should be okay - at least till it warms up and I can fix it properly.

exactly what I would do.

In fact... in the future.... go to a J/Y and find a 94+ car and snatch the complete low pressure line off of one of them... It will make life 1000x times easier.

You can use regular dextron trany fluid. I buy from wallmart the gallon jugs of supertech. maybe 2 quarts?

Starting it every 3 hours?? Pffft, you wuss... :razz: I'll leave the cutlass parked outside all day in this lovely, tropical -30 weather without plugging it in and it still starts just fine :lol:

And i know just how cold it is out there. I've been on the phone with people from Regina and Prince Albert this morning telling me how lovely the weather is :lol:

Starting it every 3 hours?? Pffft, you wuss... :razz: I'll leave the cutlass parked outside all day in this lovely, tropical -30 weather without plugging it in and it still starts just fine :lol:

And i know just how cold it is out there. I've been on the phone with people from Regina and Prince Albert this morning telling me how lovely the weather is :lol:

It's not me, it's the car. It wouldn't start on Monday. Something else is wrong with it (k, a lot of things are wrong with it right now lol) and it flooded in cold weather.

Looks like an upside down view of the passenger side axle area.

no... it is a downward view of the same area.... with the car upside down. LOL

Oops. Jeff, forget about the 94+ line. you have a pre LQ1 frame, and there is a metal plate that is absent on your frame, where the 94+ line is mounted. I was looking at that picture and realized something is MIA. once it warms up, you should flare the line ends to prevent the hose from detaching. and if you have a tubing cutter, it would be cleaner than a hacksaw.

Yup. That is towards the rear of the subframe on the passenger side. Fairly open at least because I can't reach it from the top at all..too much other shit in the way.

Wonder if that rubber hose is there to take up vibration and movement from the motor to the frame - or else why isn't it steel the whole way.

Wonder if that rubber hose is there to take up vibration and movement from the motor to the frame - or else why isn't it steel the whole way.

CORRECT!

the return line has three metal sections, with two rubber hoses linking those sections. they are both present in the pic. The leaky one links between the rack and the cooling loop.

yours has one clamped hose and one crimped (extra thick heavy duty) hose... on the 94+ both hoses are clamped in place.

Only the high side needs the heavy duty crimped section, so you can do without it.

Well I got the section cut out and a replacement installed nice and tight. I started the car and started pouring fluid in - right away shit goes wrong. Huge air bubble explodes fluid all over my clean engine bay, I continue to fill and turn the wheel lock to lock and to the fluid to go down, and everything seemed to be working great. So I thought I'd stop and finish filling later after I warmed up (-40º wind chil here). Went in and had a shower. Came back out and started the car and right away heard something spraying (like a sprinkler system that is just turned on makes that sppshh sound. I tried turning the wheel and it's solid again. So I don't know if my line popped off or what, but I had a good 1.5" inchs and two clamps on both ends and they were tight as hell. I give up though, I'm too cold to go back out, and it's dark now, and it's shitty laying on the concrete in this weather - started snowing as I was installing the new hose.

Gonna hopefully book it in tomorrow and get it fixed - I don't care if they have to replace the steel line and everything, I'm tired of fucking around in the cold weather this winter. Actually, if this car got rearended hard on the way to the shop tomororw i'd be very happy.

Rubber was probably so brittle from the cold, plus the salt drying it out didn't help either. I bet then with the pressure (even though it's not much) with the 2 said things above, ad the car being 18 years old, it was bound to go.

Ya I'm not so made about that as my repair didn't work lol. I don't know if maybe the fluid just settled down and the pump was empty again - might try putting more in tonight, I put less then a quart in so far and it puked a bunch of it up. It was a nasty yellow color too..I wonder if the fluid had a lot of water content in it and maybe froze in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

K, since this first happened and I put a new line on it has blown off twice and put a little hole into the new hose once.

The last time it was leaking I took it into the shop at school and an instructor and I "fixed" it. This was on Friday. Car was fine until this morning when I backed up and all the fluid was on the driveway, again! Fuck ME!!! When instructor and I did this on Friday we flared the steel line out and put a new 3/8" Goodyear hose on. It is all clamped up tight. I'm not sure what failed this time, but either the new hose is leaking or blew off because the puddle is in the exact same spot as all the other times. I don't know what else to do. I am going to call GM and see if they can book the car in and replace the whole god damn line I guess. I don't know if that will solve the problem or not, because I feel something is causing the lines to burst/blow off. Happens when it gets colder it seems like. I don't know if something is freezing up and what but this is the 6th time today it has failed and I can't be fixing it every 4 days. As it is I'm driving it without assist till the weekend since I need this car all week.

hehe Join the club Jeff.

I haven't had power steering in 6 months.

I am getting used to it since it seems my repair fails every couple days. Not that I don't mind it because my RX-7 doesnt have P/S so I'm used to maneovering without it. Just a bit more of a pain, plus no one else can drive it now (since most ppl I know are accustom to being able to turn the wheel with their pinkie