• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 89 bk olds 5 speed

• Crazy K

• AWeb80

• Andrew

A cool car, but IMO not one to fix up. It's just an 88 cutlass. Probably get more if you pulled the motor and trans and parted the car

Ban Him! Nice Car. I Miss My 91 Intl.

He's just being honest. We all know how great w-bodies hold their value. The only way you will make a quick buck is if you sell it to an enthusiast, such as most people here. The only thing that makes it rare is a 5 speed. Yes everyone will be sad if you part it out due to it being that rare. If you were to sell it, everyone would rather have it was a whole car. You made everyone happy saying you saved it from being crushed, but when you say that you just want to get rid of it makes me think that you think its worthless.

It's completly up to you what to do. Sell it whole, part it out. OR Keep it and restore. I really do doubt that the car will be worth more money in the future, so from saying that I'd hate to see another 5 speed parted it out, just sell the whole thing to some one who can give it a little love.

I"m not a big cutlass fan but I am a car nut I love GM cars but mainly Camaro's older one's 67-72, anyways I knew this Cutlass was different so I saved it, I would like to see it find a good home and not be parted out. I'm sure a few will benefit from this seeing that I once thought it might be a pace car replica. Seeing the one from Indy made me curious as my Red stripe around the bottom of car goes around the back bumper but stops at the front nose. Go figure. Although it's not a muscle car from the 60's I still think it is pretty cool, most people around here have never seen this option in an FWD Cutlass Supreme. Car is still running good as you can see from a few pics I took, it is filthy but mostly intact. Didn't want to take pictures this way Iwanted to clean it up. I drove it for about 5 months while working on my truck. Maybe someone will sell me a pacecar nose and I can restore this one even better than before! That red stripe really bothers me!

WANNA SELL? WOW ON THE RED STRIPE. COULD IT BE? HMMMM I'm probably the closest to expert on the 88 pacecars.... I will have to do some research, and see where it compares to know PC vins. I'd say it was unlikely since it was a 5 speed, and they intended all the 250 parade cars to be driveable by anyone... BUT maybe its was done so that people could see a 5 speed one!!!!

I'll ask GP1138 if his system at work might reveal it's origin, as the system knew the Original dealership for two of my cars.

1g3wr14w0jd312592 this is the known pacecar from mypacecar.net, all the others I've identified fall into the 31x,xxx or 32x,xxx range.

Plea get a good close up pic of the pinstripe!!!

WANNA SELL? WOW ON THE RED STRIPE. COULD IT BE? HMMMM I'm probably the closest to expert on the 88 pacecars.... I will have to do some research, and see where it compares to know PC vins. I'd say it was unlikely since it was a 5 speed, and they intended all the 250 parade cars to be driveable by anyone... BUT maybe its was done so that people could see a 5 speed one!!!!

I'll ask GP1138 if his system at work might reveal it's origin, as the system knew the Original dealership for two of my cars.

1g3wr14w0jd312592 this is the known pacecar from mypacecar.net, all the others I've identified fall into the 31x,xxx or 32x,xxx range.

Plea get a good close up pic of the pinstripe!!!

Not trying to be an ass here or be misleading, I know how serious people are about there cars I did take a closer look at the bumper and took these pics so you can see for yourself. Looks like the stripe may have been torn off some time ago, sorry didn't mean to get your heart beating fast. I spent 2 years building my 67 Camaro and after 10 years we had to part ways. I posted this car hoping to gather more info not to be misleading. I have been straight up no bullshit. You have the VIN and pics. Just want to know more about this car. Just a 5 speed Int. or what? Not a 60's muscle car but may be as valuable to the right person. (Restore 'em don't crush 'em) carsinbarns.com good site. Makes me mad though!

Can you locate the RPO code sticker in the trunk? It may have clues on options and details of this car. I have a few RPO stickers documented, I need to isolate what RPO would indicate the pacecar bumper!!!!!

also, look on the door tag, what Month was the car built?

I would bet that much less than 2000 were produced. Maybe in the ballpark of 500. Wasn't '88 also a short run year? I didn't think they started making them until later in the production year.

Can you locate the RPO code sticker in the trunk? It may have clues on options and details of this car. I have a few RPO stickers documented, I need to isolate what RPO would indicate the pacecar bumper!!!!!

also, look on the door tag, what Month was the car built?

Spent a while decoding the RPO codes on my trunk lid using a web site I found with the correct codes seems it's just a 5 speed int. after all. From what I can see code for front bumper is probably:V1T fits in with category there and Indy pace car replica is:Z4Z. Here is my RPO tag. From what I have read these last few months seems there might be some truth to the nose being offered on other 88 Cutlass Supreme's than just the pacecar Replica's. http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/ Oh! car was built in 07/88.

I would bet that much less than 2000 were produced. Maybe in the ballpark of 500. Wasn't '88 also a short run year? I didn't think they started making them until later in the production year.

Yes first year FWD I due believe switched over from RWD half year. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just wish someone had exact production # breakdown of the 5 speed option. Hoped someone on this site would know where to find this info I am at a dead end.

It's a late car.

I don't have any 5 speed breakdowns, nor Indy pace car breakdowns...I'm just doing 1990-95s and not the 5 speeds from those years either because I would need records from Olds for that.

Wow! Never Seen Ken This Excited Go Get'm Tiger

nice! LOL

actually... I can see on your front left corner, once I'd blown up your pics, residue from the pinstripe. And the fact that the car is made of 07/88 is a dead giveaway of the fact that it was assembled after the race. very nice car otherwise.

VIN : 1G3WR14W4JD389563

VEHICLE INFORMATION

Merchandising Model : N/A Warranty Start Date : N/A

BARS Order Type : N/A

Delivering Dealer : N/A Selling Source : N/A

Site Code : N/A

Business Associate Code : N/A

Service Contract : No

Branded Title :

No

Warranty Block :

No

PDI Status :

N/A

REQUIRED FIELD ACTIONS

Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Campaigns

SERVICE INFORMATIONAL ITEMS

Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Service Information

ON STAR AND XM SATELLITE RADIO INFORMATION

Vehicle Has No Associated On Star or XM Radio Information.

APPLICABLE WARRANTIES

Vehicle Applicable Warranty Information Not Available.

CLAIM HISTORY

R.O Date

R.O Number

Type

Labor Operation

Odometer Reading

12/20/2000

#

V0556 - REPLACE FRONT & REAR FRAME/CRADLE BOLTS & RETAINERS 151975 miles

� 1998-2005 General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

VIN : 1G3WR14W4JD389563

VEHICLE INFORMATION

Merchandising Model : N/A Warranty Start Date : N/A

BARS Order Type : N/A

Delivering Dealer : N/A Selling Source : N/A

Site Code : N/A

Business Associate Code : N/A

Service Contract : No

Branded Title :

No

Warranty Block :

No

PDI Status :

N/A

REQUIRED FIELD ACTIONS

Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Campaigns

SERVICE INFORMATIONAL ITEMS

Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Service Information

ON STAR AND XM SATELLITE RADIO INFORMATION

Vehicle Has No Associated On Star or XM Radio Information.

APPLICABLE WARRANTIES

Vehicle Applicable Warranty Information Not Available.

CLAIM HISTORY

R.O Date

R.O Number

Type

Labor Operation

Odometer Reading

12/20/2000

#

V0556 - REPLACE FRONT & REAR FRAME/CRADLE BOLTS & RETAINERS 151975 miles

� 1998-2005 General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Looks like not much info available, I replaced the cradle bolts and retainers, was a recall when my sister-in-law owned the car at 151975 miles . Now has 198299 miles on it. And still running strong!

There weren't very many of these cars and given the fact that we are coming up on the 20th anniversary of W-bodies your looking at a car which is becoming rarer and rarer as time goes on.

If it has a solid body then it's worth keeping.

I don't know how many have been produced..but you can add 1 more 5 spd 88 CS....but I just converted mine from an automatic so it doesn't really count.....I also went with a 3.1 Turbo motor too....