need a car battery. help me choose.

Crazy K

need a car battery. help me choose. which should i get?  

1. 1. need a car battery. help me choose. which should i get?

• optima red top
    • optima yellow top
    • Autozone redtop
    • Autozone gold top
    • advanced auto battery
    • energizer from sams club
    • CostCo
    • You FOOL!!! AC Delco Only!
    • convert to a crank starter from a model T

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pwmin

• 5speedz34

• greencutlassdrvr

• Crazy K

Unless you where truly modding a car heavily and wanted only the best in it. (ie-Jay's lumina, or what I want to do to my Z34) I would just get a regular battery from Wal-Mart or something comparable.

They have 3 lines, each carrying different warranties, all the way up to 6 years free replacement, IIRC.

Yeah, exactly what and how will you be using it? I know your all about just having stock stuff, so I wouldn't be concerned about having an Optima battery thats good for heavy drainage from stereo's, or what not.

Rule of thumb- Stick the biggest battery that you can in there. More CCA's = happy car.

Consumer reports rated AutoZone's group size 75 the best and the warrenty is hard to loose :lol: Walmart, you have to keep the original reciept for the warrenty to be valid..

Also, if you buy a AC/Delco battery, you will be in a for a heartache. They are one of the worse batteries available and typically only last 2-3 years...

Consumer reports rated AutoZone's group size 75 the best and the warrenty is hard to loose :lol: Walmart, you have to keep the original reciept for the warrenty to be valid..

Also, if you buy a AC/Delco battery, you will be in a for a heartache. They are one of the worse batteries available and typically only last 2-3 years...

Irondog's dad just replaced his OEM battery in his 93-ish Cutlass just a few months ago.

2-3 years hahahahahahaha.

Big deal if you have to keep the reciept, they even give you a pouch to put it in.

Consumer Reports, is also the magazine that shits on every American car built in the last 15-20 years.

Irondog's dad just replaced his OEM battery in his 93-ish Cutlass just a few months ago.

I've heard bad things about Delco's also. I would say Rob's dad's car was a small percentage that last that long. Delco batteries are good (from the the few that I've used), I wouldn't say they are the best though. I would say they are average.

EDIT: Like Chris said I would just stick with a roughly stock battery in your car. I wouldn't get a Optima unless you really need it. The more CCA's the better, but I wouldn't go crazy with it.

I'm really not trying to sound like an ass, but your cars aren't in the greatest shape, so I would be hard pressed to spend the money on an Optima unless you where going to restore one of them.

I've only used AC Delco batteries.....in fact...in every car my family's ever owned. It's lasted over 3 years in our SS, it lasted over 4 in my Lumina, the original AC Delco battery that came in my GP(if you don't like counting...that's over 7 years) and it still was a good battery.

so yeah....Delcos are bad. :roll:

I've only used AC Delco batteries.....in fact...in every car my family's ever owned. It's lasted over 3 years in our SS, it lasted over 4 in my Lumina, the original AC Delco battery that came in my GP(if you don't like counting...that's over 7 years) and it still was a good battery.

so yeah....Delcos are bad. :roll:

I think it depends, some Delco's are hit or miss, while others last a long ass time.

All Delcos are shit... Go work at a parts store or a good place that installs batteries and you will see the ones that last more than others... Delco is the quality of Interstate, but also, the side posts are known for pulling outta the plates on Delcos.

You want a long lasting battery, Group size 65 Motorcraft... Expect 7 years of reliable starting, or the OEM Toyora Group size 27.

The delco I have now is the last one Ill buy. Ive heard of stuff like that happening to them, although its not every single one that does it.

My next battery is going to be an Optima battery. We have two of them in my cars car and after seeing all the abuse they get from not only that car, but everything else we've used them for, I would pay the $120 or so it is for them

All Delcos are shit... Go work at a parts store or a good place that installs batteries and you will see the ones that last more than others... Delco is the quality of Interstate, but also, the side posts are known for pulling outta the plates on Delcos.

You want a long lasting battery, Group size 65 Motorcraft... Expect 7 years of reliable starting, or the OEM Toyora Group size 27.

I worked at Wal-Mart for about a year, and I saw stock Delco's all the time. Like I said I think its hit or miss, although I do agree with the sidepost pulling out.

here's the scoop. this is actually for a 99 GMC sierra pick-up. it WAS the original battery.... but this request applies to W-bodies as well.

It was actually a 78 series battery, but I threw in one of my W 75 series batteries for the day, although they are practically the same.

I too have seen Delco batteries last a LONG time, but each instance is in a vehicle that has a well insulated battery that has never been removed:

the gmc battery has a foam surround wrap and is almost three feet from the dinky 4.3, which is not driven hard.

95+ riverias and newer LeSabres(IIRC) have batteries under the rear seat, and are well insulated and survive.

thus any decent battery may last a long time in these cars. btw. I always mean to wrap my batteries but always forget to. whatever goes into the truck gets wrapped for sure.

75 or 78DLG 3year free replacement/5 year prorate warranty.. 3 year free jumpstart service 75DLG 750 CCA 900 CA 78 DLG 800CCA 1000CA

you people are crazy. i replaced the original delco battery in the riviera that was 9 years old and had 130K miles.

my dad's shop stocks delco and interstate. delco's usually last longer than interstates. the only battery i'll buy from interstate is an optima. interstate's are made in CO, btw :mrgreen:

I voted for Costco. I have one of their Kirkland Batteries in my car for over 2 years now, and never a hiccup. My car regularly saw 30 below last winter and it always started up easily. I think the one for my car is rated at 750 cca and its more than enough.

Yeah, some of the longest lasting batteries I've used have been AC/Delcos.

Remember everyone battery life has alot of factors.

Including: Whether the lights where ever left on, if you jumped someone, stereo equipment, etc.

The wrap that GM uses I really don't believe in, they can't insulate all that well, and are generally crap. Not to mention they never fit over the Wal-Mart batteries.