Got my DSM BOV put on today!

90TGP

Well I went to a friends house that has a lot of tools and he likes to work on cars [he currently owns a 13sec 10th Anniversary RX-7 Turbo]. He cut the stock bov flange from the dsm pipe and welded onto my turbo-to-intercooler pipe and cut a hole in it. He had to weld it 3-4 times because he didn't have a tig welder, but he got it to work with no leaks. It looks ghetto fabbed, but works, and function over form. A little coat of black rust resistant paint and it'll be peachy. He T-ed into the MAP sensor line to make sure it works. He didn't cut the line, but added a T and an extra peice of vacuum hose with clamps. As Soon as I can get the rear bolt off of the manifold and hook up my boost gauge, I'll T into that instead.

To the good part. When I first floored it to 50mph or so and let off, it made a nice flutter sound. I took it on the freeway tonight and floored it from the entrance ramp upto 70mph. It felt like it had better power between shifts since the air pressure didn't hit the turbo anymore. Just a bit louder then my turbo flutter. It works great, no complaints. It'll work good with my chip. But when I get my FMI finally installed, I'll save up for a better aftermarket BOV. Maybe one of those cool Blitz ones.

why didnt u decide to put it up closer to the throttle body? i have mine up on the intercooler to throttle pipe right next to the abs above the turbo. i made it so the bov would shoot right out of the hood vent(this makes it quite a bit louder:) i figured the closer to the throttle body the better so it wouldnt even have to go back thru the intercooler...

mitch

90 tgp 5speed

Guest TurboSedan
why didnt u decide to put it up closer to the throttle body? i have mine up on the intercooler to throttle pipe right next to the abs above the turbo. i made it so the bov would shoot right out of the hood vent(this makes it quite a bit louder:) i figured the closer to the throttle body the better so it wouldnt even have to go back thru the intercooler...

mitch

90 tgp 5speed

i have a 1g DSM BOV for my TGP engine and am mounting it on the lower pipe. i see it like this: when the throttle blades shut the turbo is trying to push air thru the intercooler and it can't now that there is no place for it to go -- it just slows the turbo down and wears the turbo. it seems like a better idea to vent compressed air right out of the turbo before being crammed thru the intercooler for no reason. i myself have heard that BOVs are louder on the lower IC pipe.

anyone want to add to this? am i totally off base?

joshua

I haven't done any research on this, but I wouldn't think that it would make any difference in placement. You are putting a huge vent into the pressure side of the turbo as soon as vacuum is sensed in the intake plenum. The vent is so large that turbo flutter from backpressure signals are immediately eliminated. To me that would mean that the entire system whether before or after the intercooler is evacuated of any pressure in the system. My personal opinion would be to put the vent as close to the source of boost (the turbo) as possible.

Now if anyone is totally off base...it is probably me!! :lol:

You actually want a BOV as close to the throttle body as possible. What happens is that when you close the throttle rapidly, you create a pressure wave that starts at the throttle body and works its way back to the turbo. When this load hits the compressor, the compressor dramatically slows and large thrust loads are produced on the turbo bearings. The purpose of a BOV is to protect the compressor from these pressure surges that cause excessive bearing wear. The closer to the throttle body the BOV is, the closer to the source of the pressure surge you are and the more likely it is that the BOV will relieve the excess pressure.

Tim

The only reason there is a pressure wave is because there is still pressure being produced by the turbo in a closed circuit. If you open a large vent in the pressure line as soon as the throttle body is closed, then there is no place for the slowing turbo's pressure to go and the residual pressure still in the line from the closed throttle body, but out the vent. I still don't think it matters where the BOV is placed as long as it has a large port to vent the pressure from the line...IMO. The 1G BOV I put on the TGP had a 1" floating port on it. That is a massive hole in the pressure line when it opens. That 1" port will evacuate all pressure in the system faster than the pressure wave can return to the turbo compressor no matter were it is placed. 8)

why dont you put a bov close to the TB and another one close to the turbo? that way you have the best of both worlds and it will get the air out of there faster?

why dont you put a bov close to the TB and another one close to the turbo? that way you have the best of both worlds and it will get the air out of there faster?

And maybe a third on the intercooler?? :lol:

DSM BOV's are cheap enough and good enough that I've definitely considered putting two side by side (that would look awesome), but I don't have much room left on mine and with the MAF if I let any more air vent I'd be even more screwed!

Tim