subs under back seat

blakngold4life

I am thinking about getting a small sub for my z34, the only problem is I frequently fill the trunk as it is and cant sacrafice the room. My dads frontier has a sub under the bench back seat and i was wondering if it would be possible to make somthing like that for my lumina. If anyone has any knowledge if this will work or has tried it please let me know.

Yeah I was thinking of even mounting a couple of amps back there. Not only is there no room, but mounting it will be a lot of fun considering the gas tank directly below the seat.

Now what I think would be cool would be to make only one seat (in the middle) for the rear, and mount two subs on the sides. Would make for a nice massage (or hearing damage) for whoever's sitting there.

Yeah I was thinking of even mounting a couple of amps back there. Not only is there no room, but mounting it will be a lot of fun considering the gas tank directly below the seat.

Now what I think would be cool would be to make only one seat (in the middle) for the rear, and mount two subs on the sides. Would make for a nice massage (or hearing damage) for whoever's sitting there.

I've always considered doing this, but in my fun car. I'd probably fiberglass a seat mold with cushions, then just fiberglass a few 12's on each side.

In the Mirage I wanted to make the rear seats buckets and have my Kicker L5 sticking out in the middle with my sub amp mounted above and the speaker amp mounted below... but I never got around to it.

The info about the gas tank under the seat is what i was looking for, any other ideas for more low end sound with out losing the space?

Yeah. the gas tank is literally touching the metal your seat sits on. Its impossible to drill through that or mount anything without removing the gas tank, and even then I would be extremely careful since any bolt might rub against the gas tank through vibrations and puncture it, even if it was bolted from underneath. I learned this the hard way and drilled a hole straight through into my gas tank. I was wondering why the inside of my car started smelling like gas...

The info about the gas tank under the seat is what i was looking for, any other ideas for more low end sound with out losing the space?

Free air sub into the rear deck? 6x9 subwoofers?

You might be able to use those thin 10" or 12" subs... Make a box for them or for the one, and leave about a 1" gap between the sub and the seat and have a piece of ply or MDF supporting the seat. I think that would be very do-able to have it like that.

from what i've been told just get a GOOD pair of 6x9's and amp thoes thats what i was told they could sound just as good as a sub and the only reason to have a sub would be if you were in competition or to show off arouns your friends but otherwise 2 good 6x9's could do the trick.

this is what iv been told still working on the results

from what i've been told just get a GOOD pair of 6x9's and amp thoes thats what i was told they could sound just as good as a sub and the only reason to have a sub would be if you were in competition or to show off arouns your friends but otherwise 2 good 6x9's could do the trick.

this is what iv been told still working on the results

I wish that were the case. I paid $180 for my two 6x9's (the polk audio DB690). They have horrible bass reproduction in comparison to what my 12" sub adds. And I've got this thing sealed for SQ, not SPL.

I wonder if one could cut out the spare tire well, weld in new metal there, cover it over with the carpet, then they could mount the gas tank underneath there. Then they could do an under seat enclosure.

Only thing lost is the spare tire ...

I wonder if one could cut out the spare tire well, weld in new metal there, cover it over with the carpet, then they could mount the gas tank there. Then they could do an under seat enclosure.

Only thing lost is the spare tire ...

And structural integrity in the rear end....

Not really if you think about it. The spare tire well is just tin, you're not taking away from under the back seat, nor from behind the bumper.

Not really if you think about it. The spare tire well is just tin, you're not taking away from under the back seat, nor from behind the bumper.

The curvature, and the fact that it dips down so far, actually adds a good amount of ridigity to the rear end of the vehicle. If you lose it, at least add dips and bumps to it, to help strengthen it. A flat piece of metal is weaker than a bent or round piece.

The curvature, and the fact that it dips down so far, actually adds a good amount of ridigity to the rear end of the vehicle. If you lose it, at least add dips and bumps to it, to help strengthen it. A flat piece of metal is weaker than a bent or round piece.

True, of course you'd want to roll it. :D, but it's a thought...

I wonder if one could cut out the spare tire well, weld in new metal there, cover it over with the carpet, then they could mount the gas tank underneath there.

yeah, its called a fuel cell, they make them for race cars who relocate there gas tank to the rear of the car and lots of guys remove all kinds of metal from back there with no ill effects, but they have full roll cages bumper to bumper....just make up some steel bracing to hole it all together and you'll be fine.

you could do what i did in my grand prix:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/userinstall.php?id=29

i like this idea and may pursue it when i decide if im going to take the route for subs,

yes but for a stereo??

why does one want subs IN the car? they belong in the trunk. period.

I want them in the car and out of the way because i cant sacrifice the trunk space. I do not believe they "belong" anywhere, it is just easiest and most common to put them in the trunk