Can't believe they did this.

SleeperRed90TGp

Took my rods and new pistons to the local machine shop to have the new pistons pressed on. They decided to file a notch in the beam so they knew which side went to the front. I asked him if I brought in my $3000.00 set of rods would he do the same thing. Yep that’s the way I always do it. (only in Texas)

He said he would get me a set of rods. Ok fine but the have to be the same rod. I don’t know what he got but I have 4 different casting numbers, 4 rods with .006 side clearance 2 with .016 clearance. Now I have to go back and argue with him again. Don’t even know if I can buy new rods. Would any of you guys run these rods? I am afraid to.

Anybody have a set of rods for sale?

1-5-3.jpg?i=1059839049&pw=*55293F05F523

1-5-2.jpg?i=1059837902&pw=*59DE3F05F5A3

I believe you can use Chevy Small Block rods in 60* V6s. I don't remember if it's the 5.7" or the 6.0" though. Anyways, since they are cheap as hell, make him buy you a set of them. They have to be machined a little but that should be not problem for them.

I believe you can use Chevy Small Block rods in 60* V6s. I don't remember if it's the 5.7" or the 6.0" though. Anyways, since they are cheap as hell, make him buy you a set of them. They have to be machined a little but that should be not problem for them.

Ditto. I hear good things about the Eagle ESP rods.... Their stupidity their loss (like who hasn't heard of a paint pen???)

I'am going back monday morning. Just discovered how different they were friday afternoon and they wer closed.

I know about the sbc rods. Problem is the wrist pin is about .03 bigger which means either boring the piston or bushing the rod and go full floating but then you gotta machine for spiral locks. Don't know what the width is or the weight is on the sbc rod.

If he can't get the real rod he may just have to go with sbc. He can do the machining or have it done.

I'll be checking with the dealer monday to see if they are not discontinued.

jud

Rods are distinctly different. Pin boss is .150 wider, no casting numbers on the beam, beam has wider flanges and they look stronger. The only number on mine is on the rod bolt housing. The number is 646. The na rods I have have 574 in the middle of the beam. Both are manufactured with the same process wheather its cast or forged I can't tell. There is a parting line down the outside of both sides of both rods so i would guess cast.

I didn't think that was a stupid question.

jud

I've read from several sources that the rods were originally forged gray iron. Not the best material, but at least they are forged. A wider parting line usually means forging, where a small sharp parting line means casting.

Which shop is this so I can avoid it? LOL...

ANy way the SBC rods would have to be the small journal rods from like the 65-66 327ci. ,then machined.

If anything I would get rods from a 3*00 since most of that lower end seems to be sturdy.

Gary and son in Humble. Luckey your in SA.

The parting line can be seen in the pictures. Cast or Forged??? :roll:

Its a lot of expense to put sbc rods in our engines. I found some turbo rods. There are 67 new ones in this world so the dealer says. $54.00 ea garage net. $300.00 even including shipping from gmpartsdirect. They don't list them under our motor but the number came up that they had them and it fit the application. I emailed them to make sure. Pretty quick response to.

The owner of the shop said he was going shopping for a bunch of wierd stuff today. (there are about 10 engine parts distributors in Houston) Somebody may have them and he can get a deal.

I called and missed him. Went home probly didn't want to talk to me. :cry:

jud