Removing cutlass dash speakers

LukeZ34

They're underneath the dashpad. you'll have to remove the entire dashpad, there's 2 screws in the front vent (behind the windshield), there's 2 in the glovebox, there's 1 by the headlight switch, I think there's one to the right of the cluster, and 1, possibly two by where the radio is...

Anyways, once the dash pad is out, the speakers screw right into the dash/plastic stuff.

Have fun with that. (it's actually not that hard, just cumbersome for SPEAKERS!)

-MaD-

eh, I've taken the dash pad out so many times, it's second-nature to me. In fact, when I first swapped out my cluster, idiot me cut all the wires thinking there were only ONE of each wire, big mistake :shock: So many hours later I had a working base dash again and proceeded to install the guages with the "remove snap-in connectors" method :-\ But unfortunately, some wires were still messed up and I had to re-wire certain things a few more times.

Also, I took it out twice again to paint it with that Vinyl Color stuff, but I'm happy I did that because now I have a black dash! :D

Then, I installed that damn DIC and had to splice into the cluster wires. Dash was removed, yet again.

Right now, it's only being held on by 2 or 3 easily-accessible screws, because I have to solder all my splices and add the HUD that I have lying around.

So yea, my and that dash pad removal process are like this :cheers:

Heh...

-MaD-

I've also had mine out a million times, I didnt put those stupid screw back in the vent. They are a pain in the butt. But it is pretty easy to remove. After the first time its second nature. Does that vinyl paint really work that good? Which brand did you use?

Yea, I got the damn thing out. I didn't even see the 2 screws in the defroster vent, and I kept wondering why the hell the stupid thing wouldn't come off.. so I felt around and sure enough, there were 2 hidden in there.

But I'll tell ya this.. I made 4x6 speakers fit in the little 4" opening. :shock: I dunno how many other people have done this, but I wasn't about to give up my nice kenwood excelon 4x6's that sounds damn good. So I armed myself with a dremel, and some sort of side cutting bit and went to town, lol. If anyone wants pics I'll get them. I'm planning to spend most of the night saturday building the stereo back in to the cutty anyway. Gotta build a new (and hopefully much lighter) box for the 2 subs, and come up with some way of mounting the amps. Hell, I should probably jump on sounddomain.com and see if I can find anything cool there.

Ok, I'm rambling on now, so I guess I'll stop, lol :)

To paint my dash, I used two cans of black Duplicolor Vinyl Paint. It looks nice, and once Armor All is on it, it looks stock. The trick is, use rubbing alcohol or dish soap on it before to make sure every single spot of the vinyl is oil free. Otherwise you'll get a bubbling effect. Then, very very thin layers (it goes on kinda thick) until it looks nice.

I'm pleased with it. and unless I can find a DARK black dash pad for a reasonable price, I'll keep my painted one.

-MaD-

You probably coulda put 'em in the doors. Cars with the 6-speaker system had 4x6's in the doors. I'm not sure if the plates were attached to the speakers, or if they were available separately. I know the speaker grilles are available separately. I'll probably get them to put in my '94 convertible because it doesn't have the door speakers.

Hey, on the bright side, he could put some in the doors in addition to the new ones in the dash.

I'll say this though, my stock dash speakers are the nuke! They stand up to my Xplod head unit (52watts x4, although that translates to about 22watts RMS x4, which ain't THAT bad...) My rears COMPLETELY blew up however. Delco can NOT make 6X9's for shxt. :cuss: ... :?

-MaD-

I've a some 4" Kenwood Component system that's going in to the doors. It'll look pretty stealth too since the kenwood grilles are black like the door carpet. The way the panels look I should be able to get some good imaging by placing the woofer lower in the door and the tweeter higher. It's kinda hard to explain the picture I have in my head right now, but it should work out pretty well.

I'm gonna get a 4 channel amp (or use the 4 channel sony I have for now) and use that to seperate the speakers up front. Dash on the front, doors on the rear, and then use the rear speakers for fill only (powered by head unit amp) or unhook them completely. The EQ will go in the storage pocket under the ash tray.

Luke's idea sounds close to what I want to do also, that is to get the sound up front instead of rear fill...

Shawn, I actually mounted them on the door panel, used the pioneer grilles and all....I wanted to put them in the actual door, but even the big magnet JUST cleared the opening in the door for the 4x6...

Are they kinda wobbly mounted to the door panel? I was thinking about cutting the hole oversized and mounting the speakers solid to the door metal using some kind of 1" thick plastic spacer or something like that.

If i get some money saved up, i plan to put speakers in my doors. I've noticed the carpet peeling away a bit on my door panels, but i t gave me an idea. I think i can pull off the carpet and cut a whole for the speakers to play through and glue the carpet back in place so it looks stock. there is a ton of room to fit speakers between the metal door and the plastic molding, so i'll use a spacer to fit the speaker in. i'm thinking JL XR 6.5 components, maybe the 3-way components if i get real ambitious. :D

to my disbelief, the speakers don't wobble around at all! That's probably due to one of those plastic push clips being just underneath the speaker...I cut the holes in the location of where the 4x6's were, plus a tad lower, so there's only like an inch of carpet between the speaker and the outer edge of the panel. It has also crossed my mind to install the speakers so they are on the inside of the door panel, but they MIGHT wobble like that, and they actually do look good as they are now...probably even better when I use the black fabric over the grilles....

Whoa, i had some 5" speakers in the door, and man did they rattle everything in there, it pissed me off, so i made a box and put it in the space underneath the heater core, looks good, and it doesn't get in the way, and you can't see it from outside of the car! so now my doors are empty.

It doesn't take much to get W body door panels to stop rattling...A little adhesive backed foam weatherstrip behind all of the little metal brackets screwed into the door's metal, a little extra GM padding...voila. Not a squeak or anything

Shit.. I had my 4" kenwood's in a foam baffle, and I never had a problem with rattling. They sounded much better too since the sound wasn't resonating in the doors.