EGR tube NEED REPLACEMENT HELP

scottyj

I have a 90 TGP 3.1L Turbo (I know, it is implied) but I am replacing my headgasket again. Got all the way down and back up to where I attach the EGR tube. Now come to find GM discontinued and I have no junk yard that can find one. Am trying to make the fitting to the EGR tube is the trick, other end is standard natural gas fitting. Anyone know where I can pick one up or how to make that fitting to go over the EGR nipple? Need help and can't find Jeff M. appears his business is no longer (on internet search). Miss your help Jeff. ANYONE??

Apreciate it,

Scott

I can send you the one from the 3.1 I just pulled from the cutlass.

What I did on my 2.8 was remove the tube. Install dimes or pennies into the exhaust side fitting to block the exhaust from leaking. Then ran a rubber tube from the EGR inlet to a breather filter. So now the egr sucks in engine bay air rather than exhaust.

breather.JPG

I have no Idea if its the same as the turbo one as your exhaust manifolds are different.

If you want the tube you just have to pay shipping. I can take a pic of it installed so you can see how its bent. From the pic above you can see where on the exhaust manifold it connects too.

those tubes are disco and if you find one then you have found the impossible. I am 99% sure they are different than the 2.8 but I could be wrong. You can post this same thing on http://www.tgpforums.com and you might find help there, but it's unlikely. I believe there is an option with tubing from a store such as home depot or something of the like, but the fittings are hard to match.

Most people just disable it when that tube breaks, but that's a moral issue as well because it is indeed illegal in most states.

doesn't that throw a computer code? How much do you want for the tube and are you sure it has the same design as the turbo one?

I have never received a code after switching to the breather.

thank you both for your fast replies. I would appreciate a pic but am guessing it is different. Depending on the angle the pic was taken from, it would infer it won't work. But please send a pic. Barring ethics, if I blind the manifold, won't the EGR put up a code to the computer that won't go away?

Hey. Welcome to the board....the N/A EGR's are different than the TGP ones. Do you need the WHOLE EGR line? I have the part that covers the EGR nipple itself, but I did cut the rest of it off...so the tube and the nut that goes to the crossover pipe are gone. Would this help you at all? Or not do you need the whole thing?

I have never done it myself but there are a few that have disabled the valve, and disabled the code in the chip so the EGR is totally disabled, so no code. Swing on over to tgpforums.com, there is a lot of info over there, not just about this particular topic but many others as well.

In a nutshell, I appreciate it but don't think it would get me much further. This is the third one I broke and all in the same spot. Mine busted just below the bends where it drops straight down. I tried Jimmy-rigging it with a splice interior tube and was within two turns on a fine threaded piece when crack, it broke further up. After heating for years they are brittle. I cut the old one down and tried to keep the nipple portion. it wouldn't accept my adapter interior piece without breaking. Took to exhaust shop, welder on lowest setting melted it. Brazing on low melted it. Grrr. Guessing yours would do similar. It doesn't make sense why they didn't thread the EGR nipple like the manifold or make the adapter to accept a natural gas fitting as it appears to be the type of line they are using. I am looking at going to a machine shop and having them thread the fitting to accept a natural gas fitting. But space is limited in that area of the engine (along with everywhere else) and the nipple is a strange size that is a hair over american sizes and 17mm is not common for plumbing fittings. The plumbing fittings I find are not SS or carbon steel so think they would eat up quickly. Don't want to jimmy rig or blind off but getting hard up.

I would definately try a 2.8 tube. they are pretty close and I think others have done it. I vaguely remember from the other forum that someone has done it before. If you can find some small size flex bellow one can be fabricated from stainless. I have seen solid ones made for the LT1 with custom ceramic headers. it had no flex bellows even.

but it cant hurt to try the 2.8 one first.

-=SOME=- NA cars did have the same tube as the TGP. There was a simple way that I remembered to look for them at the junkyard. On the Xover on the TGP, the nipple is on one side, whereas on the NA model, the nipple was on the otherside. The one in my TGP is from a Buick Regal that I found in my local yard. Some of the NA models got a diferent X-over, and the nipple was where the TGP nipple is. Does this make sense?

On my last TGP, I put a regular NA tube on it, it took some work to work it around and get it to fit. Its about 4-5 inchs longer than the TGP one.

I had intended on replacing mine with a stainless steel natural gas line as well, but I never could find one short enough. shortest is like 12", we need maybe 6". it screwed onto the crossover no problem, and the EGR valve would just need a fitting threaded into the hole.

stopped at local junkyard to look for the 2.8, no luck. they don't hold things that 'old' any more. tried the stainless natural gas line already. As others found, the EGR fitting is the problem. I am looking at machining the plate but expense and pain.

That one wont work. Thats a digital EGR Valve, while we have Vacume. Wont mount up.. I am going to the yard this weekend maybe (pending payment for a driveshaft). If I go, I will take a look.

That one wont work. Thats a digital EGR Valve, while we have Vacume. Wont mount up.. I am going to the yard this weekend maybe (pending payment for a driveshaft). If I go, I will take a look.

maybe i should get some shots of the 2.8 egr, that pic was from the 3.1 from the vert.

when mine was cracked i went to the junkyard and found one from an older 2.8 equip Beretta or Cavalier (can't remember which). it worked, but the tube was longer so i had to sort of bend the tube over under the throttle body to make it fit. it was kind of U-shaped but it worked. i've since removed the EGR completely, then drilled/tapped the hole in the plenum and put a vacuum distribution block in its place, then had the bung on the crossover pipe removed and welded shut.