Sub is not working

Identity Crisis

I guess the majority is wrong?

The majoriy havent been through all the stuff I have.

and why would I supply you with information so you can call someone and raise hell and try to get someone fired when all they were doing was trying to help me. especially when he got me a few hundred off the price of my deck, and a few hundred off the price of my Italian made amp. dont try to get under mah skin boah!

I did, I went through the exhaustingly boring dialogue and while that applies to tapedeck converted Ipods and lowgrade equipment which I dont use. basically a trip back to kindergarden.

I saw no valid info either way on or any mention of coil use with subwoofers to support your flames or ryans.

What makes you think your amplifier is exempt for the basics of electronics? I dont care if it is a McIntosh, or a Lunar, or a Genesis, Or a DLS, or even a Tru Tech... You can NOT escape the basics of electronics... Furthermore the amplifier isnt such an integral part of shaping the sound of your system. If you feel otherwise contact Richard Clark for yoiur $10 grand.

You wont see mention of a coil on a speaker to drop the impedance load. Its idiotic and WILL NOT WORK for that purpose.

Want to know what a coil WILL do on a speaker?

http://www.bcae1.com/indspkr.htm

Thats right... filter out higher frequencies... But even thats probably useless as you have a crossover on your amp set up... SO what do you gain by adding a coil in? Nadda.

I rest my case.

I read it and it says nothing about the effects on impedence. which is the only basic electronics I am interested in currently.

I already know they are used for filtering which seems like all that is about. It has to change the resistence slightly if you think about it.

It definately wont hurt the speaker. but im not going to risk it until I know the amp can handle it.

Unless you really "know" someone its hard to tell when someone is just messing with you on the net...

Even if you dont intend on using it, I still believe you have faith in all that you have said...

I am gonna go down there tomorrow and talk to him and have him put it on the meter. if it does not do what he says then he will be keystering it.

Be prepared to shove it up his keyster then.

:lol:

Even if the coil does Ohm something substantial it still wont matter. Only use is filtering, period.

Heres why:

In order for it to matter to the amplifier it needs to match the subs AC Impedance while the sub is in use. Ac Impedance is way different than RC Resistance. AC Impedance fluctuates, DC is constant. The amplifies out put is AC. Clipped signal while flat is DC... When the sub moves to and from, the AC resistance is always changing. In order for any item to affect the AC Impedance to make the amp see differently, it to must fluctuate with the subwoofer.

Dont believe me? Take your sub unhooked from the amplifier. Set your DMM to Ohms. Put it on the coil(s). Push the cone in, watch the Ohms change.

End of story. These are the facts. If a McIntosh dealer thinks otherwise, point him to this thread. He obviously needs some education.

Be prepared to shove it up his keyster then.

:lol:

Even if the coil does Ohm something substantial it still wont matter. Only use is filtering, period.

Heres why:

In order for it to matter to the amplifier it needs to match the subs AC Impedance while the sub is in use. Ac Impedance is way different than RC Resistance. AC Impedance fluctuates, DC is constant. The amplifies out put is AC. Clipped signal while flat is DC... When the sub moves to and from, the AC resistance is always changing. In order for any item to affect the AC Impedance to make the amp see differently, it to must fluctuate with the subwoofer.

Dont believe me? Take your sub unhooked from the amplifier. Set your DMM to Ohms. Put it on the coil(s). Push the cone in, watch the Ohms change.

End of story. These are the facts. If a McIntosh dealer thinks otherwise, point him to this thread. He obviously needs some education.

well I wont point him to this thread, period. but I will question him about it and this whole AC impedence/ RC resistance thing. and ask him if he thinks my signal is clipping. Then compare theories with my real smart homies at soundsational (JL dealer where I got my W-7)

could it be that since my kd-avx2 head unit only has 1 rca for a subwoofer output. and I only have either the left or the right channel making a signal for the amp. like maybe I could even out the signal somehow and turn the gain down some??? I just remembered that too because I threw everything together just the other day and havent had time to iron everything out yet.

but I didnt know what to do because its a mono amp and dont know if it even needs both sides. and why does the deck only have 1 sub out??

• 2 weeks later...

Ok after reading all that I went back to the start and here is what I have.

SWR1241D Sub.

Tested the connections on the sub

C1- 1.1 ohms

C2- 3.8 ohms

Hooked it back up to the amp. The Amp is working. The Light is on.

Turned on the stereo andset up the subwoofer settings on the HU

at the connectors on the box I get with no music

C3- 11.0 ohms

Settings on the Amp

Gain- set to min

Bass EQ- 0db

Lp filter 50Hz

HU Settings

Sub output- ON

Sub output level 0-15 Set to- 10

Turned on the tunes.......

Once again with the music low and all the settings set where they are, pretty much nothing coming through.

Turned the gain up to Avg, the sub started to come to life. But it sounds like crap.

Adjusted the Bass EQ around and

Adjusted the LP Filter around.

The sub started to make more sub sounds but it sounds like crap. Kind of if you put your lips together and made a fart pipe sound from a dirt bike.

I turned the volume up to 25. The system sounded like Shit and the sub stopped working all together.

I think this sub is FU@#ed Up.

Here are the pics of the wiring.

Picture.jpg

Picture221.jpg

Picture220.jpg

Picture219.jpg

Picture218.jpg

Ok after reading all that I went back to the start and here is what I have.

SWR1241D Sub.

Tested the connections on the sub

C1- 1.1 ohms

C2- 3.8 ohms

Right there is your problem. One coil is at 4 the other is blown.

Your subwoofer has been blown. Replace it.