180 thermostat

xtremerevolution

I've been hearing about these a lot, especially on the regalgs.org forum.

I had a few questions.

What benefit do they have as opposed to the regular thermostat?

How would you go about installing one (in my car specifically)

Which one would I get for my car? (and where?)

Thanks.

The motor will run 15degrees cooler, and you'll probably feel the slightest bit increase in power, but it won't be much at all, and you engine will run cooler (great in summer sucks in winter!)

The motor will run 15degrees cooler, and you'll probably feel the slightest bit increase in power, but it won't be much at all, and you engine will run cooler (great in summer sucks in winter!)

Why exactly would this suck during the winter?

you can get one at any parts store. just ask for a 180 t-stat that will fit your car.

advantages: runs cooler, lower underhood temps, slightly more power(wont be noticeable at all though)

disadvantages: heater isnt as warm during the winter, so longer warm-ups when frozen.

you can get one at any parts store. just ask for a 180 t-stat that will fit your car.

advantages: runs cooler, lower underhood temps, slightly more power(wont be noticeable at all though)

disadvantages: heater isnt as warm during the winter, so longer warm-ups when frozen.

Well my car runs a bit on the warm side as it is, so I think it might be a good idea.

As for the heater not being as warm...oh well. I'll wear a jacket.

Would this be difficult to install? Or could I get instructions out of my Haynes manual.

if you can change your spark plugs you can do this. piece-o-cake. your heater will still be warm, just not quite as warm.

and yes your Haynes should show you where it is.

If you live in the South its great to have a 180* tstat. It works real well if you get an aftermarket chip/computer programed to work with the 180* tstat so that your fans kick on earlier and actually take advantage of the cooler engine and advance the spark timing.

Worse gas mileage.

Installation is seriously 10 minutes. 2 bolts on the thermostat housing, it pops right off.

Awesome. I'll have it done when I get back. Will I see any improvement on my 1/4 mile time?

Worse gas mileage.

Installation is seriously 10 minutes. 2 bolts on the thermostat housing, it pops right off.

Awesome. I'll have it done when I get back. Will I see any improvement on my 1/4 mile time?

HAHA. doubt it.

haha nothing at all in your 1/4 time

So the mod is basically just something to help keep the engine cooler? Increase engine life?

Probably decrease engine life actually.

So it doesn't increase performance.

It *probably* decreases engine life...

so...what's the point?

Runs cooler.

So how does it help me if my engine runs cooler if it has no effect on my performance and reduces my engine life?

A cooler running engine will dump more fuel. Same effect with a true CAI, cooler running, dumps more fuel.

So I'll be running richer?

I'm not getting something here. What benefit does it provide me when I get behind the wheel and put my foot on the pedal?