2000 Regal random power steering

glassvial

The problems with my vehicles never seem to cease. 2000 Buick Regal, the power steering seems to randomly want to work all of a sudden. Some turns I'll get full power no problem. Some turns I'll get half power then half no power. Some turns I need the muscles of He-Man to turn the wheel! Power steering fluid is fine. No P/S leaks that I can see anywhere. We did do inner/outer tie rod ends and new boots not too long ago, also did the rear spindle rods (they were both bent). I'm afraid this sounds like an intermittent P/S pump, but figured I would check here for a second opinion before I start dropping lots of cash (that I don't have).

Thanks

I've had a couple PS pumps fail on me (I guess I'm just too powerful for the power steering) and both times, i think it was the seal around the pulley/shaft thing. The fluid just dumped out and I couldnt steer (with powars), but when there was fluid in it, It was fine.

I was just thinking, you should check for air in the lines. The way you get it out, correct me if I'm wrong, is to start the car, open the PS resivior cap and turn the wheel all the way to the left, hold it for a bit, then all the way to the right, hold it, etc. If there is air in the lines, it should come out and you'll see the fluid in the resivior bubbling/foaming.

Could try it, problem with this car/motor is where they put the damn P/S pump is tough to get to, much less watch it when you're trying to air bleed it. Might try a fluid exchange anyhow (and bleed it too), it's cheaper than a pump!

This can also be the sign of a dying rack. That's how the early second gen racks like to die.

Don't tell me that. We put a lot of time and effort into replacing all the tie rod ends, which would be a waste if I had to do a rack. Not to mention a rack is big money (even bigger money than a pump!)

Looks like (unfortunately) Shaun is right. Replaced the P/S pump, still steers hard (especially to the left, to the right doesn't seem *as* bad but it's still not right). Ah well, it's gonna be awhile, a new rack is not jiving with my finances right now.

Looks like (unfortunately) Shaun is right. Replaced the P/S pump, still steers hard (especially to the left, to the right doesn't seem *as* bad but it's still not right). Ah well, it's gonna be awhile, a new rack is not jiving with my finances right now.

Holy $300 batman!!