$565 too much?

Garrett Powered

going to try to piece together a good turbo from 3 parts turbos. one has a good bearing in it but had a blade strike or something cause the tips are slightly dinged up. a few people that claim to know a lot say that the slightest ding will prevent the smooth boost from happening all together and will be inefficient. so I am stuck taking a chance with it or getting a new center section for $565. or can the compressor wheel be replaced?

either way, I am looking at taking the thing apart here real soon. the other two parts turbos I think are toast and blades might have rubbed on the housing. but might swap over the turbine housing off one because the best one has a crack by the wastegate. thats probably the least of my worries but if anyone can help in any way. much appreciated.

I wouldnt mind putting a t-3 wheel on there while I am at it. I know for a fact that its been done and want to try it. so if anyone can point me in the right direction....

really? I thought you could build a t-25 with a bigger compressor wheel in it. I dont know much about all that. I think I am going to go buy a center section for $565 and try to rebuild the turbo off the red '89. If I had just the compressor wheel it would be much cheaper though. :confused: doesnt that seem kinda high?

Truthfully, I'm not really sure as to what the rebuild kits costs, although $565 doesn't seem too bad considering any sort of decent T3 will be in the $1000 range.

just paid for it and its being ordered. its going to be fun rebuilding one of those little basterds, never done it before. :smile:

For the T-3, pick up a flange, cut your old one off, weld on new T-3 flange.

IIRC, I remember years ago you could pick them up off ebay.

Years ago :biggrin: How old are you?

slick, I don't know where you came from but whomever named you a mod on the TGP fourm made a big mistake. Don't know who owns this site anymore, dont really care but its already obviours you dont know what your talking about. If you don't know it dont say it.

Putting a t3 flange on a TGP xover is like putting a BBC head on a SBC. Only know of a couple guys that have done that and they aren't running fast. Don't even know if there running.

Garrett, Yes you can put t3 parts in a 25 but the machining required is not worth it. Look for a GT series they are far superior and you can go as little a 300hp up to 550hp with minor mods.

For 565 I would have looked for a gt28 of some form. There on ebay also. The gt25 on our cars is really a toy.

Jud

For the T-3, pick up a flange, cut your old one off, weld on new T-3 flange.

IIRC, I remember years ago you could pick them up off ebay.

Years ago :biggrin: How old are you?

slick, I don't know where you came from but whomever named you a mod on the TGP fourm made a big mistake. Don't know who owns this site anymore, dont really care but its already obviours you dont know what your talking about. If you don't know it dont say it.

Putting a t3 flange on a TGP xover is like putting a BBC head on a SBC. Only know of a couple guys that have done that and they aren't running fast. Don't even know if there running.

Garrett, Yes you can put t3 parts in a 25 but the machining required is not worth it. Look for a GT series they are far superior and you can go as little a 300hp up to 550hp with minor mods.

For 565 I would have looked for a gt28 of some form. There on ebay also. The gt25 on our cars is really a toy.

Jud

Did I ever say that I was a mod over the TGP section? No

Do I know turbo's in and out? No

Do I remember people swapping out flanges in the past? Yes

I only speak from what I read. I don't know the in's and out's of these vehicles, no need to bash someone else who is trying to be a bit constructive. And, about 5-6 years ago, I DO infact remembering seeing flanges on Ebay, for fairly cheap prices.

Jud, I'm in no way trying to bash you, or you knowledge. I know you don't hang around these parts often, infact, not many TGP guys do. If we had someone around here more, you wouldn't have a person like I only stating what I know, which could be way off base.

Well I applaud you on your endevor. I guess there is a mod needed. I wouldn't take it on. Keep trucking kid and you will soon be there. Don't stick your neck out to far.

Jud

why is it not worth it?

all you have to do is drill the groove out a little bit and throw the bigger wheel on right?

thats why I need to talk to jeff and see what he did...or re-read that old thread. :confused:

I actually may have hooked up a line on for some turbo rebuilder locally. he has actually done a hybrid t3/t4 or some shit. but Im doing mine with the new cartridge and then piece together another one later on with a bigger compressor wheel. that one off the red car had a good bearing in it so maybe I can machine it out.

But I just learned how to pull one apart so the project has begun! the compressor housing was not scored up at all but the whole cartridge is toast. turbine housings not cracked.

the parts supposed to be here on the 10th.

• 4 weeks later...

and the castings different than stock.

theres big metal bumps aroung the oil feed or outlet. look at the exploded view on the bottom

2056262_183_full.jpg

2056262_184_full.jpg

2056262_185_full.jpg