Easiest way to change rear spark plugs on 3100?

MikeP2389

I just got a tuneup and my mechanic went and put bosch platinum plugs in and i heard from many many people that they suck and i want to get them out of there. i already bought the basic ac delco plugs all i need to know is how do i get to the rear plugs easily? i heard you have to rotate the engine or just unbolt the coil pack bracket. can someone explain the best way to do this?

thanks.

Guest JuniorBaconChee

Please dont think me an ass for saying this but...Check the FAQ first I think theres some write-ups there. Also, use the search feature and try some keywords. You should get a good idea from the results. Also, and I hope its okay I say this, you might try the Autozone website as they have some info that should help. Im sure others will be along to help out.

sorry for the newb question. is it easy to put the belt back on the alternator?

and do i need any extensions for the ratchet or can i just get right in there without the alternator?

sorry for the newb question. is it easy to put the belt back on the alternator?

and do i need any extensions for the ratchet or can i just get right in there without the alternator?

Super easy to remove and install the serpentine belt on the alternator. Just remove the tension on the belt by inserting the end of your ratch into the tensioner and pusing/pulling it which ever way removes tension.

remove alternator to change rear plugs!? Thats a first...

I you need more room take off the dogbones and ratchet the motor forward. I never thought it was bad on a 3100, theres alot of room to get your hands there and feel where the plug wires are and get the plugs from there.

remove alternator to change rear plugs!? Thats a first...

been doin it since I've owned Ws.. only takes 5 minutes, less of a pain in the ass than removing the dogbones/rotating.

I thought you 3100 guys had a shitload of room back there?

yea i just unbolted the dog bones and backed the car into my driveway which has a slght incline and pulled the engine as far as it could go forward and changed the plugs. thank god i got those bosch plugs outta there, my car runs even better now :cool:

AC Delcos are already pre-gapped right? because i remember someone saying that they were so i just went ahead and installed them straight from the box.

Guest JuniorBaconChee

The RapidFire's I got were not at the correct gap...not to mention the box says to check the gap...I love the gap...I eat there as frequently as possible. Check those gaps!

when i did my plugs on my 3100 it took like 30 mins for plugs and wires, and 2 minutes for the belt. 5 minutes for the alternator. lol. but the 12 sensor, never do it again. 2.5 hours and lots of cussing

Hell Yeah I'm in the process of finishing up my 3.1 plug change. I removed the alt.. HOLY SHIT!!! i can even seen the plugs and ot have to fight to get the socket and ratch on them.. Oh yea no bosch here eiter.. AC Rapid Fire 6's and Ac Delco Wires... FTW!!!!! and thanks to the person who mentioned the alt thing in this thread...