Tire sizes for Lumina

Grand Moff Joseph

So, the Lumina will be in need of two new tirs soon, and I am looking to change sizes to reduce the sidewall size.

Current size: 205/70/R15

1st idea: 205/60/R15

I know I can go almost as low as I want on the sidewall, but how wide of a tire can I get without rubbing/other issues? (ie-stay within wheel well)

Thanks!

Ps - No, I'm not buying bigger rims :)

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

That link probably needs pinned.

Anyways, it's not the width of the tire, it's how wide of a tire that will actually fit on that wheel. At a 15" size, I wouldn't be too concerned about the width.

Keep in mind though, going to any profile other than say 60 will make the wheels and tires look redicuously small on the car.

yeah like Chris said, going lower profile will look silly, and not to mention your speedo will be off.

i say either stay with the stock size, or get 235/60/15 's. im not sure if they would rub or not, but at least you would have a wider footprint. the other downside is there are very few tires in this size. Discount tire shows two, haha.

OK, how about I split the difference and go with 215/65/R15

According the the Miata tire calc, the speedo will only be 1% too fast. anyone see any issues with going with this size tire? (wheel rub, etc.)

OK, how about I split the difference and go with 215/65/R15

According the the Miata tire calc, the speedo will only be 1% too fast. anyone see any issues with going with this size tire? (wheel rub, etc.)

That is what I run, and I have no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't know they made a 15 inch OEM rim for the Euro's in 1990. Got a pic or a link?

Sure do!

Before, w/OEM 'Aero' hubcaps:

wax5.jpg

After, w/OEM rims ($180 off of Ebay :))

rim4reduced.jpg

You spent $180 on 15"s? Shipped?

Honestly, I would truly truly see if you can find some 16's and call it a day.

At the time, if I could have found brand new, still in their original GM box, 16" rims, I would have taken them -- provided I also had the cash to buy a new set of tires, which I defintely did not have.

Besides, GM parts wanted $600 PER RIM. I got the whole set of four for $180 shipped. Not a bad deal IMO. :)