Cutlass side marker and rear tail light - How do you black em out ?

sunny_8

Seen this on a few peoples rides and it looks sharp.

How do you black out the side markers (turn signal) and the real lights ? Is it legal ?

Any instructions on the site ?

Finally decided to keep my 95 drop top with 100K, instead of getting a IS300....

so now its time to fix her up !

Thanks,

I used Krylon Krystal Kolor (i think that's how its spelled) for all my markers, and it works really well. I can't compare the ease of use to niteshades, though, but i know its only about a quarter of the price. I did all my markers except my brake lights, which I'll do with real niteshades, because I dont want to have to wetsand as much

ok I am a bit thick in the head at this stuff. But like my timing belt, I will take a shot and hope that it works.

After looking at more pics on the forumn, I would like to smoke the lights a bit to give it a custom look, but not totally black out....so that I get stopped as if I had some drugs on me.

So what is the procedure :

1. Clean the light with rubbing alcohol ?

2. Spray once light coat ?

3. Wet sand - which is ? Sandpaper and water ? if so what grit ?

If I use the Krylon Krystal it says it looks like a semi transparent stain which is like what Matt had on his pics of the rear. How much sanding etc is needed and do I need a clear coat on top ?

Thanks,

why wouldnt you recommend the krylon? Its worked great for me, looks like glass (well, the one that I did right, anyways) im not saying you have to agree, given the opportunity I would use niteshades above this, but its not bad at all

Youll need more than one coat. I think I put like 3 medium to heavy coats and they came out great. Just make sure its clean first or else youll get fisheyes... not good cause them you gotta clean it and start over.

nightshades is just a better product IMHO

nightshades is just a better product IMHO

Oh I don't disagree with that at all. When I did mine, niteshades was nowhere to be found, and online it was like 12$, as opposed to about 3 for a can of the other stuff, and I had spare lights in case, but it came out about as good

i did 5 or 6 coats, wetsanding every 2 or 3, 2 or 3 coat of clear, and wetsand til smooth. i havent done my tails yet cuz i want to do them with niteshades, for safety reasons i guess

ahh, yeah, that was just to try it out, I had a spare taillight. On my markers and signals otherwise I used i think about 6 coats of krylon, and 2 or 3 coats of clear, and wetsanded/polished about every 3 coats. I currently don't have my taillights tinted

why wouldnt you recommend the krylon? Its worked great for me, looks like glass (well, the one that I did right, anyways) im not saying you have to agree, given the opportunity I would use niteshades above this, but its not bad at all

you yourself said in another thread that you were going to use nightshades for your tails because of the way the Krylon turned out for you :shrug:

I guess that I am just a believer in that most cases you get what you pay for...plus nightshades was designed for this use and the Krylon wasn't

right, its not that the krylon necessarily looks bad, its just that for the amount of time it took to make look as good as the niteshades, id rather do that on the tails, since yes, it is made for it, and also it would just take so much longer to get to look good, since the tails arent a basically flat piece like the others I did :sad: I just can't risk messing something up with these tails, too expensive, the other pieces i can grab for 5 or 10 bucks at any yard

Ok so now what I think I read is that its harder to use Krylon, esp on the back.

So what niteshades ? Do I have to sand and clear if I use nightshades ?

Gonna return the krylon...lol

Thx

Just read some more on blackout paints.

I guess I can use Patra RC tint Spray like ToroToro, but I have read a lot that its very very hard to put on.

So...then how about niteshades is that any better?

Sorry to go on about this, but I cannot afford to mess up my lights, I only have the one set on the car.