FFP Coilover Mount Rotted Out

mdelorie

We can debate the quality of his products, I personally think the coilovers could have been designed better. But I have heard some things recently that indicate to me he is not a quality individual. Even if FFP was still open, I would not do business with him anymore.

Thanks AWeb, that's probably exactly what I'll do! That's a great idea. That'll get my car back on the road quite a bit faster than I was fearing. Unfortunately I still haven't heard back from him regarding the toast one.

I got tons of info on the rear stuff like that...old inner tubes are your friend.

Michael at FFP got back to me today. He's having email server problems, which is fair. He's shipping out a new pad and asked me to ship him the old one. He indicated that he's never used rubber for the pads, but that occasionally the poly doesn't cure properly.

The fact that he's willing to fix this free of charge puts him in my good books. I've found he's actually quite good to deal with, as long as you can get a hold of him.

Yeah Michael FTW, basically what I was trying to say all along. I've talked to him on the phone numerous times and he doesn't blow you off. He went into detail to me about the future of FFP and his current projects that he is indulging in (TT Olds Bravada). Good guy :thumb:

Michael at FFP got back to me today. He's having email server problems, which is fair. He's shipping out a new pad and asked me to ship him the old one. He indicated that he's never used rubber for the pads, but that occasionally the poly doesn't cure properly.

The fact that he's willing to fix this free of charge puts him in my good books. I've found he's actually quite good to deal with, as long as you can get a hold of him.

+1. Everytime Ive talk to him, hes done a great job in helping me out.

But lets try not to make this about him, and just good and bad parts.

ah, i just got him swapped to my new server and have him setup w/ gmail ... he <3 it ... give it abit though had todo some changing around.

i tried to email ffo to buy a shit load of the mounts as they are the only thing not available to buy from other sources. im waiting on a reply (i emailed him yesterday)

I'm all for FFP and their products, Michael is an excellent person to deal with. I have two UD pulleys and two set of mounts (Z34 and TGP) and have no complaints.

But to those who say the Birchmount, is junk, you're sadly mistaken.

If its PROPERLY installed (read: clamped in place with OEM monoleaf pads, and has poly pucks under the ends) It will ride fine and not make ANY noise.

I have one in my TGP (3" drop) and have NO complaints.

I'm not bashing the FFP coilovers because I have NO experience with them, but all this Birchmount bashing is uncalled for.

If you're concerned about weight, here's a news flash, you drive a W-body, not a Lotus.

:lol: end rant

• 3 weeks later...

The saga continues....

I finally got Michael's number and phoned him. No answer. Left a voicemail, no callback.

I'm starting to get very frustrated with this whole situation. I'm not sure why he's not getting back to me, but until I find out what's happening with the pad he said he was going to ship me, I can't get my car back together. Last contact I had from him was on April 15th, nothing's shown up as of today.

I may have to start looking at alternative solutions, like maybe if someone has a pad they'd like to sell to me?

All you need is a hard piece of rubber to cushion the shock. Circle track race shops ought to have something that coule work for you, the springs Michael uses are just circle track springs. BTW, I ran mine without the poly for two years. It was just noisy, especially when the springs jumped out of the top seats and popped back in. One of the two diesgn flaws I'm not fond of.

I keep my rear end about half an inch higher than stock, so it doesn't really jump around too much. I guess I just might have to take the other poly pad out and use some cut up inner tubes as a bushing instead. Maybe also time to look into a full set of Held coilovers.