FFP Coilover Mount Rotted Out

mdelorie

So, it appears to be common knowledge that FFP is no longer making coilovers. I got my kit last summer, and at the time noticed that one of the upper spring mounts was made of rubber, while the other one was poly.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but now that I've gone through a winter with the kit, I looked and noticed that the rubber mount has almost completely disintegrated. The poly one looks fine. I emailed FFP, but I doubt I'll get any reply.

So, my problem would appear to be that I need a new upper mount. Does anyone have any of these? Is it going to be possible to get someone to cut a new one out of poly for me?

I agree. I'll keep on him. I'd like a few spares, personally. I don't know if it's safe to drive my car with it as it currently is. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

So, we're up to two people wanting two each, total of four.

I dont see where the actual aluminum mount would go bad, but perhaps the poly mount/bushing. There is poly grease you can put on there to help prolong the life.

Well, six months and one winter after install, the poly bushing is fine, but the rubber one that I apparently received by mistake is pretty much toast. I'm working on pulling it off right now. I'll post pictures. I'm weary about running the car just on the aluminum mount, but I can't see that it would hurt, seeing as the bottom of the spring rides on the aluminum anyways.

So, we're up to six requested bushings?

He flat out forgot to put mounts in mine. I had to call him up and he sent me new ones. I didn't know he stopped making these coilovers. But I'm not disappointed. The design has a couple of critical flaws. The ones Held Motorsports makes look a lot better.

I was looking at the site. I would imagine I'll just got with a stage one kit, as I already have KYBs in the rear. Any idea what the fronts would be worth? Again, I've already got KYBs for the front. How difficult are the fronts to install? I'm thinking I might as well get all four corners.

Humm, not really. The coil over that are sold by ffp are not racing coilovers. They are not nearly as good as a suspension upgrade as the birchmount. The monoleaf in the FE3 acts as two parts, one a way for the car to absorb bumps and two a sway bar. The monoleaf attaches the car and makes it one in the back. I know what your talking about for the coilovers and yes coilovers can be better in some surcumstances but not this one. Now if TEIN made coil overs which are all one piece not individual pieces that you put together then yeah they would be better, but the FFP coilovers are not close to as good as those or the birchmount.

mine went bad shortly after i put them on ~2K miles....this was a few yrs ago....i emailed Michael and told him what happened and he said he had a bad batch of the poly....and shipped them out...didn't know they were bad...at the time he was trying to get ahold of whoever had teh bad ones....he shipped me new pads within 2 weeks.

btw, you cand drive w/o the pads there....it will just possibly transfer more road noise than if it were there...

FYI, i took some old inner tubes and cut them up to the size of the mounts and stuffed 3-4 "donuts" on top of eachother...they are still there and work great.

Thanks AWeb, that's probably exactly what I'll do! That's a great idea. That'll get my car back on the road quite a bit faster than I was fearing. Unfortunately I still haven't heard back from him regarding the toast one.