Any benefit to a HO2 in a TGP?

GnatGoSplat

O2 sensor in the TGP is no good, and the connector is melted on the car-end.

I happen to have a spare, brand spanking new Delco AFS75 4-wire Heated O2 sensor AND a spare 4-wire harness for it.

It takes 2 grounds, one +12V ignition, and standard O2 sensor wire.

Any point to installing this in the TGP? It's obviously a lot more work, especially if I want to run the wiring in the factory loom.

The only benefit I can really think of is it will go into closed loop sooner. I don't know how much sooner.

Should I bother, or just buy a 1-wire O2 and replacement wiring for it?

You pretty much named the only benefit of going to this setup already Shawn. Fwiw, I've seen a log of a TGP using a one-wire Bosch oxygen sensor and it took approximately 3mins & 1sec to hit closed loop operation(ambient air was ~45*F at startup btw). Even though it hit closed loop in that amount of time, it took a little bit longer for it to be fully responsive. I haven't specifically checked how long a car with a heated o2 sensor takes to hit closed loop, but it probably occurs in well under a minute.

I'm most likely going to sell the car when I get it 100% road worthy. Think any potential buyer is really going to care if it goes into closed loop in <1min vs 3min 1sec?

Granted, it'll save me money to use what I've got on hand, but it'll cost me a lot of time and labor. 5-minutes tops to replace it w/1-wire even with replacing the connector vs. a whole day or more of jacking up the car, pulling off the wheel, running wire in the factory loom, splicing into power and ground. Probably not worth it.

A properly working stock 1 wire GM 02 sensor should take no more than 45 seconds - 1 minute to "wake up" and respond. Longest I have seen was 1min 30ish seconds on a -10*F morning. Any longer than that and the 02 sensor is most likely loaded with carbon and carbon will hold the exhaust gas temps away from the element and it will take longer to respond.

Most Bosch heated 02 sensors should take no more than 15 seconds to warm and be ready to sense.

-Kenny

ps...I can get a GM 02 sensor for our application for $55 shipped USPS.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm most likely going to sell the car when I get it 100% road worthy.

:( dibs..

I don't know if I want to sell it to a forum member... it'd probably end up in the crushinator!

Oh come on. I like your TGP. It's probably the one w-body I wouldn't crush!

Who would you rather have owning your car? A forum member who loves the cars, or a punk kid who's going to use it for neutral-to-drive drops?

I don't know if I want to sell it to a forum member... it'd probably end up in the crushinator!

gnat should sell it to me. I never crush anything!

gnat should sell it to me. I never crush anything!

Ahem...

DSC01179.jpg

Ahem...

DSC01179.jpg

ahem. I chopped it up.

Picture908.jpg

but I recycled the engine and tranny and alot of other parts into my existing cars.

so... worst case scenario, there will be a Turbo CS Vert! things aren't that bad!!! :)

but I recycled the engine and tranny and alot of other parts into my existing cars.

so... worst case scenario, there will be a Turbo CS Vert! things aren't that bad!!! :)

:lol: I'm not seeing the difference here!

Is AFS22 the proper AC Delco O2 for the TGP?

I picked one up for $24 shipped from a seller on eBay, genuine AC DELCO. It has a black wire that feels slippery like teflon.

Where can I get a replacement connector housing? Mine is melted. The metal terminal in the wire is still okay I think.

AFS22 is correct Shawn. Just for reference the GM part number for it is "25162753."

For the connector, one of the parts stores may carry one that will work. I'm going to Advance auto today, I'll look around and see if they have any. If not, a connector from a junkyard car is probably your best bet. I'll most likely be visiting a junkyard or two this weekend if you don't find one by then, let me know and I'll get one for you.

I'm not going to have time to make a trip to a junkyard anytime soon or even make it to Pep Boys to look for a connector, so if you could grab me one, that'd be great!

Actually i was referring to the $55 or $64 GMpartsdirect charges.I searched ebay and there arent any ac/delcos right now.I was just curious how the borg warners stack up.They are about $16.95-$19.95.