How to lower a W-Body ( Gen 1, Gen 1.5 )

19Cutlass94

Sounds great, but I won't be cutting off any mounts from my original struts. Are there any aftermarket units that can be used instead, as opposed to having to find another OEM piece?

I'm not referring to the mounts from the original struts. Those get removed altogether and you can put them back later if you want. I'm referring to that drilled triangular plate that's sticking out of the middle of the strut right above the knuckle. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, but it has to go. Either way your struts will have to be modified permanently, so if you're not comfortable with that, your best bet is to run to a junkyard and find a spare set of struts. The springs will not physically fit on top of the strut unless you do that.

I'm not referring to the mounts from the original struts. Those get removed altogether and you can put them back later if you want. I'm referring to that drilled triangular plate that's sticking out of the middle of the strut right above the knuckle. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, but it has to go. Either way your struts will have to be modified permanently, so if you're not comfortable with that, your best bet is to run to a junkyard and find a spare set of struts. The springs will not physically fit on top of the strut unless you do that.

That piece can be removed by bending it back and forth until the metal fatigues and it falls off. You can then just take the grinder to the tube to get the sleeve to fit over. First you need to remove the collar for the spring. That's a bigger bitch. I have almost all the parts needed to get this done in thee ole garage; just waiting on a few select pieces to show up. And some others from my powder coater.

The large diameter sleeve from A1 is needed. The summit is to small I think; but maybe not. either way it's more expensive from what I remember. I've got the A1 stuff in the rear of my car.

A1racing.com, a trip to the JY, and some thrust bearings is all you need. Time, patience, and common sense helps too; but I can't help with that.

A1-12462 – coil over nut – 2.5” OD //cok12442/48/49/53/59 12.87

A1-12470 – Collar – for 2.5” Spring 12.54

HYP1810B-P -10” spring 59.95

A1-12452-H – Coil over Sleeve 2.170” ID 18.80

PROZ902 – Adjusting wrench 9.00

combo

A1-12446 - nut and collar – 26.43

Edited by GTP091

Okay, I'm in. I'll need KYBs since I don't have them already and I'll need to grab a set of struts from the jy because I don't want to modify my stock ones. Thanks for pulling this together guys.

That piece can be removed by bending it back and forth until the metal fatigues and it falls off. You can then just take the grider to the tube to get the sleeve to fit over. First you need to remove the collar for the spring. That's a bigger bitch. I have almost all the parts needed to get this done in thee ole garage; just waiting on a few select pieces to show up. And some others from my powder coater.

The large diameter sleeve from A1 is needed. The summit is to small I think; but maybe not. either way it's more expensive from what I remember. I've got the A1 stuff in the rear of my car.

A1racing.com, a trip to the JY, and some thrust bearings is all you need. Time, patience, and common sense helps too; but I can't help with that.

A1-12462 – coil over nut – 2.5” OD //cok12442/48/49/53/59 12.87

A1-12470 – Collar – for 2.5” Spring 12.54

HYP1810B-P -10” spring 59.95

A1-12452-H – Coil over Sleeve 2.170” ID 18.80

PROZ902 – Adjusting wrench 9.00

combo

A1-12446 - nut and collar – 26.43

Looks like a good set of parts. I'll call Bob in here so he can confirm. Looks like you can get the springs cheaper on summitracing though, for $40 instead of $60.

And yeah, KYB GR2's will be absolutely necessary.

My local pull-a-part has a standard price of $31.25 per strut assembly, but I only called one place. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks.

and ask andrie to post the pic I sent him a few days ago. I aint fuckin around with the parts I'm making.

btw my front coilover setup is for sale, pm me if you want details.

PM sent. :thumbsup:

PM replied. I believe my price is way way way more than fair.:thumbsup:

Alrighty ladies and gentlement. Going with the Held mounts is a joke. Why?? Cause the mounts fucking suck big ones. Before I use mounts with rubber or poly strut rod bushing on the front for coilovers, I would just save my money and cut a coil off the stock spring. The stock mount's bushing has way way way way too much deflection. For the price, I know the O.E.M mounts are outta range for most of you. I have a set. IIRC only person to have them other than their maker (mark aka dohcv6) is me! Ive had them on for a year. Noisy, but nice. Actually, I think GPChris now has a set.

Here's the deal I will make, I need commitment because the parts I need to make front coilover mounts I have to get from England (I already have enough to make 1 set) which takes 1-2 weeks to get. I can do the mounts for $225 shipped. If I can get 5-10 people, I can do around $200 shipped. I WILL ACCEPT PAYMENTS!!!!

Would be a spherical bearing design (no shitty bushing design, yuck) with an ES poly spring isolator. The design is more street friendly, allows for maximum strut stroke (O.E.M. design ends up taking 1-1.5" of strut stroke, easy to bottom out) and is just simpler. Its not adjustable, however any alignment tech with half a brain knows that if you want more camber, to slot the strut towers (thats per GM. Actually 5 of my past Ws were already slotted at one point for alignments)

They will not be painted or powerdercoated. Why?? I dont know of any place local to me that does it. Not to mention, it allows you to paint them however you want (color, type of paint...)

Aside from mounts, the exact parts that are needed are this!!!

-Strut housings, modified. Easy enough to do.

-2 Coilover Sleeves - A1-12457-TK - $36.80/pair

-2 Coilover Adj Nuts - A1-12460 - $25.74/pair

-2 ES Spring Isolators - 9.6103r - $17.99/pair

-2 10" 2.5" ID Coil Springs - HAL-10-xxx (spring rate) - $79.90 to $99.90

-1 Thrust Bearing Kit - HAL-7888-109 - $25.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total $190.38 to $210.38

Best of all!!! You can buy one part at a time instead of dropping that cash at once! Great for people who dont make alot like me:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by BXX

Can't wait to see some pictures of those mounts. I might end up sticking with my mounts simply because I'll probably need new tires, konis, and a wide range of other things for this car before I need new mounts, but I'm still interested.

Bob, what bushings did we end up using for my mounts, in case I need replacements in the future? They appear to be holding up very well so far, and there are a good 7000 miles on them. If they prove to be decent, would you consider making those for people? $225 is a little bit steep. Just figure it would be nice to have options.

Edited by xtremerevolution

Can't wait to see some pictures of those mounts. I might end up sticking with my mounts simply because I'll probably need new tires, konis, and a wide range of other things for this car before I need new mounts, but I'm still interested.

Bob, what bushings did we end up using for my mounts, in case I need replacements in the future? They appear to be holding up very well so far, and there are a good 7000 miles on them.

They were ES bushings, I cant remember, but I had to severely modify them which was a mess and a huge pain in my ass.

I wouldnt expect those bushings to last over a year. IIRC Brian said the setup when he got it had a year on them and they bushings were trashed.

They were ES bushings, I cant remember, but I had to severely modify them which was a mess and a huge pain in my ass.

I wouldnt expect those bushings to last over a year. IIRC Brian said the setup when he got it had a year on them and they bushings were trashed.

Well that sucks, although I wouldn't mind replacing them every year. I'd just make a couple sets the first time. I'm pretty handy with a dremel. It doesn't appear too difficult to replace them, and it will be even easier once I get the mounts moved to the top of the tower. Do you know who made these?

Edited by xtremerevolution

I believe those are Held mounts, and he prolly machined the bushings from the exact bushings I bought. Except I dont have a lathe. I had to drill out the ID of the bushing, Poly is very very hard to drill (it fricken flexes a lot. Took me over an hour to do the bushings)

I might still have the package in my garage and/or reciept that will show the part number.

Offtopic, how the fuel pump job going?

I need to see pics too, the design I have in my head can be produced for less than $225.

Doesn't really matter to me, I'll make mine my way, lol, if no one likes my design no skin off my back.

I'm not going with Poly bushings, I'm not using poly anywhere actually. My sources have access to Delrin to machine my bushings out of. He will be making me bushings for my trailing arms, lateral links, control arms, coil overs and sub frame bushings. All I have to do is reverse engineer the ones I have and send them off to be done

Jamie

I need to see pics too, the design I have in my head can be produced for less than $225.

Doesn't really matter to me, I'll make mine my way, lol, if no one likes my design no skin off my back.

I'm not going with Poly bushings, I'm not using poly anywhere actually. My sources have access to Delrin to machine my bushings out of. He will be making me bushings for my trailing arms, lateral links, control arms, coil overs and sub frame bushings. All I have to do is reverse engineer the ones I have and send them off to be done

Jamie

Mines being made for less than $225 as well. Im not gonna go through the hassle without making money for my time and effort.:thumbsup: I dont care if anyone wants to buy a set:lol: Its up to them if they want awsome performance! Seems only like 4 of us on the forum give a damn about being able to take a corner faster than a fricken school bus!!!

(Me, Andrie, You, Adam)

Good luck with the Derlin:thumbsup:

The delrin is going to make for a rough ride, but it'll be stiff. That's what a lot of guys doing pro-touring cars are starting to use. It will be way easier to machine than Poly.

If you have KYB GR2's (which you should at this point if you're even thinking about coilovers), you can use the stock mounts. Its really quite simple, and I can take pictures of mine. What's our price so far? $164 for the rear adjustable coilover kit, SHIPPED.

May we have pictures for reference?

May we have pictures for reference?

For the rears?? Yup! I did this setup ages ago on my 96 CS, the same setup is on my current 95 CS, Same setup on Andrie's GSX. Im not fond of using the stock rear mount, but its not as mushy as the front so its good enough. Ill be doing custom rear mounts as well after I do the fronts and 'other goodies':thumbsup:

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/b12redline/Coilover%20Pics/