Car cannot establish a OBD II connection

Addicted2bass

In the process of figuring out my rpm problem i had my mechanic and a guy at autozone try to read codes from my computer. Both of the machines would bring up and error message saying they could not establish a connection with the car (or something to that effect). What could cause this? Its a 96, first year of the OBD II.

Computer going dead might be the problem here. Might have to take this one to the dealer and have them verify, if not fix, the problem.

If the computer is dying could that cause the problem im having with the rpms jumping? Im gonna stop by a pontiac dealer and get their opinion, but i doubt im gonna wanna pay the kind of money they will charge to fix it. Ive never heard of many computers going on w-bodys.

junkyard only works on OBD1 really, cause you just swap the chip. But since OBD2 has a embedded chip (I beleive), it turns it into a dealer thing..

Oh, was under the impression he had OBD2 since he is using the title OBD2 and in his first post he says its a 96...

I'm just replying to RJansen. 96 should be obd II.

Its a 96. I checked all the wires on the plug, everything is connected there. Would a bad computer cause the rpm jumping problem im having, also my idle has been all over the map lately. Is there any way i can test the computer? Or should i break down and take the thing to a dealer?

Its a 96. I checked all the wires on the plug, everything is connected there. Would a bad computer cause the rpm jumping problem im having, also my idle has been all over the map lately. Is there any way i can test the computer? Or should i break down and take the thing to a dealer?

There are a few unofficial ways. Some people have said tapping on the computer and seeing if that does anything to the idle is one way to tell, but I don't think there's a surefire way to check it beyond.... a scantool, which apparently doesn't work. :lol: I'd just see if you can find one in a junkyard, or even find someone you know with the same year/engine car and see if you can swap.