question about speaker sizes

cutty

I wanted to know what size speakers would be in the doors of my CS and what is the biggest size speakers i can put in there without to much modification. I will be buying a component set soon.

So anyone that has any recommendation on what brand would help out also.

5.25 rounds. I was cheap. I used speakers from a concert surround II system out of an olds 98. :P Plus my car has the performance sound system with tweeters.

Screw those wussie 5 1/4's, go with 6 1/2's! You might as well stick with your stock speakers if all you want are 5 1/4's. The 6 1/2's will fit if you make your own mounting plates. Use the stock "pocket" as a template and fab up the mounting plates out of either MDF or 3/8" plywood.

rtdoor1.jpg

rdoor2.jpg

Mine fit right up under the stock grilles. You wouldn't have a clue that I have a set of 6 1/2 components in there until you cranked up the stereo...

Oh yeah, buy Boston Acoustics, or go home...

Im going to go on a limb here, and say I better go home, lol.. But Kevin, if you ever come around, I would LOVE to hear them.. I'm planning Infinity 6.5" components or Type R components.. :willynilly:

PS I was WAITING for those pics!! :lol: :lol:

ok so i might as well go with the 6 1/2's in my front door, and of course i have tweeters there also. and i get new 6x9's for the rear.

anyone know of any good sites or places to get them from??

eBay!!!

Gotta admit I bought my Bostons a while back, but back when I was shopping for components, nothing from Infinity could hold a candle to 'em (efficiency-wise, sound wise, "loudness" wise.) Although I wholeheartedly endorse Boston Acoustics, I still would take a set of Infinities, MB Quart, or JBL's over anything "mid-market" (Pioneer/Sony/Kenwood/JVC and their ilk.)

i was also thinking about just going to best buy or circuit city to listen to some first to help me decide.

Thats not a bad thing, If i were you i'd talk to the guys there and let them know you're jsut looking. My cousin worked at CC for 9 years and the speaker room really doesn't give a accurate sound (room is bigger than a car and they are at ear level). Go with what you like (if your brand loyal). Most any componet set will sound better than stock!

good point jay, im not really loyal with any brand, i just want something that will sound good and last a long time.

i have no clue what brands are good except the couple big brands that i have heard about like pioneer, sony, alpine, and infinity.

i found some memphis speakers for a good price but i dont know how good they would be.

You certianly dont need to do all that work just for 6.5" and tweeters. Honestly, I wouldnt worry about rear fill, I dont have any. I took my 6x9's out. Fitting a 6.5" speaker in place of a 5.25" speaker is not as hard as it sounds

I've known highvoltage(Tim) for years now(back when he had a Beretta). He's an awesome guy, and does amazing fiberglass work.

Anyways, I wouldn't get anything from a big box store, I would look around online.

Whats your price range?

I will be running Bravox 6.5" mids and Seas 1" tweeters. I still need to figure out what I will be doing about a crossover, but I think I will be picking up jl audio's 12 or 15 way adjustable crossover.

You certianly dont need to do all that work just for 6.5" and tweeters. Honestly, I wouldnt worry about rear fill, I dont have any. I took my 6x9's out. Fitting a 6.5" speaker in place of a 5.25" speaker is not as hard as it sounds

I didnt mean he had to build something or start fiberglassing, just that this guy is/was sponsered by Memphis Audio, which is a brand he mantioned looking into. Thought maybe it'd be a good resource to have in figuring out what to buy

I didnt mean he had to build something or start fiberglassing, just that this guy is/was sponsered by Memphis Audio, which is a brand he mantioned looking into. Thought maybe it'd be a good resource to have in figuring out what to buy

ohh I know what you meant by the post. It was a great post of that project, quite impressive!

Although really, I think everyone here could tell you who you should and shouldnt buy from and nothing would get mentioned twice :lol: I believe you just gotta listen to the stuff because everones taste in what music shoud sound like is different.

But yeah very few people here would actually go that far in installing something. I was just saying that its not a hard upgrade. Sorry if it came out wrong :redface:

Oh its cool :lol: I woulndt mind doing something like that, but I would never put it in my car, way overboard. Very nice work he does though, just not my taste. I do, however, want to try my hand at fiberglassing this summer though

Oh its cool :lol: I woulndt mind doing something like that, but I would never put it in my car, way overboard. Very nice work he does though, just not my taste. I do, however, want to try my hand at fiberglassing this summer though

Since I got the bonne now, I've decided to do a fiberglass enclosure. I'll be sure to do a write-up.

My W6. It's a pretty good SQ sub, so I'll make the box right about 1.15-1.2 ft^3, sealed. The amp will still be the same Directed 1500d (it's discontinued, but it was when they still were putting out the power that the model number says it is, the W6 is probably getting around the 800 rms range).

I still need to figure out something for my two amps though. The sub will be glassed on one side of the trunk(back by the taillight), so I'm thinking of putting the amps on the other side. Not sure if i'm just gonna MDF if(but flush mount them) or if I should just go ahead and pull a mold of the amps, then make a nice rack for them.

It's all in the air right now.