Rear Coil-Over conversion

92turboLE

anyone know who makes rear coilovers for a 92 grand prix sedan... my monoleaf is all cracked and broken and currently held together with a 2 dollar clap from the harware store... the monoleaf, when good, rode like shit anyway and i would like to do a coilover conversion in the rear and maybe lower it about an inch....

any good manufacturers or part numbers that i should look for???

thanks in advance for the help

- Justin

Guest TurboSedan

1st: go here for LOTS of info on coilovers:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301&highlight=coilovers

FFP & Held Motorsports are the only places that make them now i think. FFP is CO based i think.

Fast Forward Performance:

http://www.fastfwdperformance.com/

and Held Motorspors:

http://www.heldmotorsports.com/

i emailed Held about thier coilovers and they gave me some generic email reply back that didn't even answer my question. they were basically like 'go back and re-read our website'. ok so uh, fuck you too :) FFP coilovers are FAR superior to my TDC coilovers (TDC is now out of business), i'd recommend the Addco 7/8" rear sway bar, along with a rear STB with any coilovers since the monoleaf itself had alot to do with lateral support. and i definateley like my KYB rear struts. the front of my car is lowered with 1.5" drop Eibach lowering springs i got from TDC. they definatley didn't lower the car enough and i'm planning on cutting a 1/4 off the bottom of the spring. that and going from a 225/60 tire to a 225/55 tire should give me the stance i want. i hope.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

there is also this option; a flex-a-form lowering transverse leaf spring. go here to read about it:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4701&highlight=flexaform

don't get your hopes up tho, i think it's either in the developing stage or they just now released it recently or something. i would want to see how low it gets the car before i bought the spring and the price. fwiw, i would rather have an actual lowering transverse leaf spring than coilovers. hopefully flex-a-form follows thru with a W-body lowering spring with preferably 2" drop or so.....or more :)

joshua

Actually I suggest you keep your monoleaf. You can probably get one from a wreck yard. They are far supperior to the independent suspension that you get with the coil overs. I have seen coil overs brake at the weld where people welded the lower part of the strut to the coil over system.

Just as a comparison after GM discontinued the leaf spring on the back of the W body they have transfered it to the Z06. I got a 2002 GTP and a 1992 GTP the 1992 GTP with the leaf spring will outhandle any heavily modified newer GTP on any track. I wish I had the mono leaf for the new GTP. I know cause I raced my two cars on the track.

Just my thoughts.

Adam s

Just as a comparison after GM discontinued the leaf spring on the back of the W body they have transfered it to the Z06. I got a 2002 GTP and a 1992 GTP the 1992 GTP with the leaf spring will outhandle any heavily modified newer GTP on any track. I wish I had the mono leaf for the new GTP. I know cause I raced my two cars on the track.

Corvettes have had fiberglass monoleaf spring front and rear suspension for a LONG time. Maybe since the C3 'vette, not sure on that, but the current Z06 isn't the first time they used it.

You're probably right I have not looked at an older corvette only a Z06 so that's what I can say for sure. It was a supprise to see this in a sports car though. (after all the mono leaf bashing of the Wbodies that happend years ago)

Adam S.