New TGP Exhaust System

Addicted To Boost

I need to get/make/buy a new exhaust system for my TGP. The old system isn't so hot anymore. I need some facts and opinions here. What are some good setups? I know some people are running with no cats, some with no mufflers, some with both and/or a combination of those. What size piping should I run? Good materials to use? Mufflers: yes or no? If yes, what are some good brands and models of mufflers that you guys have tried and liked? Any other general information, facts, and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Now, some info about what I would like: I will be getting new exhaust from the downpipe to the exhaust tips. I would like to keep the stock exhaust tips. I don't NEED to run a cat. The two states it will be run in is Minnesota in the summer and Florida during all other seasons, and neither state has safety checks, so I don't NEED a cat, unless there are any benefits to running one (doubt it). I'm looking for above all something that sounds good and performs well. As long as it isn't rattling windows loud, I'm okay with dealing with a little noise. And finally, durability: I want the exhaust to be durable and not rust out. It would be nice if it looked decent and didn't rust up and look nasty. Should I go with stainless steel or.... recommendations??

Everyone feel free to post your thoughts and opinions here; I want to have an AWESOME exhaust!!! :cool: Oh yeah and I don't care how much I spend, as long as the end product turns out great. :cool:

So far, I'm looking at making a stainless steel, mandrel bent exhaust with the stock tips. Still looking for everyones input, ideas, and opinions.

only benefit of a cat is for pollution control.

i always like magnaflow mufflers on V6s. polished stainless would be nice, but if youre running stock tips, i dont see the point unless aluminized steel would rust out too quickly (dont have that problem in CO) - not sure of your situation, but if you dont care about the cost so much, def go ss. i think you would be fine w/ 2.5 " mandrel to dual 2.25" crushbent unless youre going to be running more power soon. i'm not a TGP expert though. for the dp, i would go 2.5" mandrel w/ a flex somewhere in there and flange it.

HTH

So you're saying a 2.5" DP with 2.5" all the way back to the Y-split, where I should run 2.25's to each Magnaflow muffler with stock tips? What size does stock exhaust use j/w? I'm lookin for a little more power and some better sound. I have the stock turbo BTW.

i know yours should put out at least more torque than my 3.4, but thats what im running except for stock dp, hi-flo cat, and resonator. the stock exhaust on mine was appx. 2.25 to dual 2.0, i think the tgp is the same. i did my exhaust first w/o a resonator and it was a little too loud so i added in a dynomax glasspack around where the stock resonator was.

here's some pix of my exhaust. i did it back to the split and had an exhaust shop do the rest. it has 97-03 tips now instead of the 04's.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v476/pwmin/grand%20prix%20exhaust/

It will be putting out much more HP and torque than a 3.4. It will be chipped, along with a few other mods. I'm looking at about 260-270 HP and about 280lb/ft of Torque (corrected) when I'm done with it. Pwmin- I really like your setup. I think I will be going 2.5" from the downpipe, all the way back to the Y split. At the Y split, I'll run 2.25" to the magnaflow mufflers with stock tips on it.

Now, at the moment, the TGP currently has this setup: completely stock system with a gutted cat and no resonator. It isn't loud at all with the current setup. When going with the new system above, would running a resonator in the place of where my gutted cat is now work? Do you think that would be loud/quiet without the resonator?

Thanks

k, didnt know you were going to mod it to that power level. i would go w/ single 3" if youre looking to put out a lot of power but that wouldnt look right w/ the dual cutouts. that system should be good enough. its probably bigger than i actually need. i dont know how the tgp's exhaust sounds so i would do it w/o a res first, but you could put one where the cat was. if you need to get it done right away, have them flange the resonator and make a flanged straight pipe so you can put either one in.

Those HP/TQ figures are what the chip (Kenny chip) I'm putting in will make the car put out. Other than the chip, and a couple MINOR mods, that will be about my HP/TQ limits, as I have an auto tranny and don't wanna rip it apart! :willynilly: I'm still lookin at the setup I mentioned in my last post. Do you happen to know the size of the stock TGP downpipe? I'm hoping it is 2.5" or bigger, so it will be the same size as the rest of the system. (less backpressure for the turbo)

The stock exhaust tip is only 1 And 5/8 I.D.

Probably the biggest restriction in the whole system...

Know of any tips that look the same as stock, but have a larger I.D.?

If anyone remembers my SE exhaust system they know I go all out. My TGP is the next project I am going to tackle, and it will be done soon because I hate any car's stock exhaust. I am going to get pretty ridiculous with it so you guys just wait and see. Also does anyone know how big of a downpipe I can make and still fit it in there?

i dont remember ever seeing rectangular tips like the stock ones. the 97-03 tips fit pretty well into 2.25 piping but wouldnt really go w/ the rect. cutouts. maybe you could cut the small part off the tips and have a bigger pipe brazed onto it or something, idk.

I think an exhaust should ONLY ever be done RIGHT.

Mandrel bends, stainless steel, straight through perforated core mufflers............

Also, I *WOULD* resonate it. Straight off..........the turbo acts as a silencer, but a resonator just cleans the sound up nicely.

Als, while I preach cat's all day long on an NA car, they DO offer a larger restriction on a forced induction setup that moves more air. Still though, I'd consider one on a low boost street car..........I doubt it's causing more than a 5-7hp loss (at the outside....likely a little less).

Oh, and if it fits, the larger the better (piping-wise) on a turbo car..........

Well I read that when the tips are THAT far back in the system, they shouldn't really cause that much backpressure, especially considering that there are TWO outlets, so it should flow well with the stock tips. IMO the stock tips fit the car the best.

I think an exhaust should ONLY ever be done RIGHT.

Mandrel bends, stainless steel, straight through perforated core mufflers............

Also, I *WOULD* resonate it. Straight off..........the turbo acts as a silencer, but a resonator just cleans the sound up nicely.

Also, while I preach cat's all day long on an NA car, they DO offer a larger restriction on a forced induction setup that moves more air. Still though, I'd consider one on a low boost street car..........I doubt it's causing more than a 5-7hp loss (at the outside....likely a little less).

Oh, and if it fits, the larger the better (piping-wise) on a turbo car..........

ABSOLUTELY! I want this exhaust done and done right. I will be going with mandrel bends and full stainless steel exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers. Not sure if I want to put a resonator on it... I've HEARD that having OR NOT having a cat and/or resonator on a turbo car makes NO difference in sound... again, I could be wrong, but that is what I was told. I WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT run a cat on my TGP. I have NO need to: they aren't required where I will drive the car, and they are a RESTRICTION. I don't care that it is only a small amount of HP (5-7 HP) loss, I WANT that horsepower to be put out. In my book, the more HP, the better. I'm not gonna waste my money on a cat. My car will be about 14 PSI max, not sure if you consider that low boost, but I want the best flow as possible.

What exhaust size would YOU suggest? As of right now, I'm considering running 2.5" exhaust from the downpipe, back to the Y, then run 2.25" exhaust from the Y to each muffler. What would you suggest?

3in if it fits...........

But 2.5in is probably not really going to hurt you. It's going to be a little cheaper too.

As for the cat, I have no problems with making the most power per boost/mod level, but it DOES make sense to try and keep things eco-friendly...........especially when a decently designed test-pipe or cut-out for the track can be had for relatively cheap.

That's just my thought on the subject.........

3in if it fits...........

But 2.5in is probably not really going to hurt you. It's going to be a little cheaper too.

As for the cat, I have no problems with making the most power per boost/mod level, but it DOES make sense to try and keep things eco-friendly...........especially when a decently designed test-pipe or cut-out for the track can be had for relatively cheap.

That's just my thought on the subject.........

Yes, but the question is: how big is too big? I'm a little leary of running 3".... has anyone run a 3" exhaust on their TGP? I need a second opinion on this...

No cat for me- I'm not an eco guy. I'm not spending $50+ for a cat that I don't need.

I just wanna have stock exhaust. I got a pipe welded into place where the cat was. only thing is I want mandrels welded in place of the stock bends. dont want it louder unless the turbo is bigger and louder. thats just me though.

I got priorities though when it comes to exhaust. first I upgrade the crossover, then lose the cat, then p&p and big turbo. after all that then might as well look into some mandrel bends if it aint enough.

2.5'' is PLENTY big enough with our T-25 to be honest. The stock exhaust without a cat is probably even ample(I think Josh dyno'd with a TSTE catback with no cat and just look at the amount of power he made. :cool:).

I have a 2.5'' SS mandrel bent setup on my TGP with a carsound/magnaflow high-flow cat(it came on the car), and a universal resonator. I also still have the stock tips, but they're soon to be gone, the piping had to be necked down really small to fit them. :redface: I'm replacing them with 3'' "dual dual" outlet tips that have a 2.5'' inlet size. I will also be either swapping out the cat with a new one or trying something else in its place, my old leaking injectors probably didn't help the current cat any. :lol: I'm sorta planning on buying some flanges and welding them onto the exhaust where the cat is so that I can easily bolt in a cat if we ever have emissions or inspections here in the future.

well, sometimes mandrel aluminized is the right way. you dont always need mandrel stainless. i could turn around and says do it right every time and use titanium piping.

i wouldnt worry too much about the tips like you said. i think 3" will be too much unless you go w/ a larger turbo.

i wouldnt worry too much about the tips like you said. i think 3" will be too much unless you go w/ a larger turbo.

Okay that is EXACTLY what I wanted to know- thank you. :smile:

2.5'' is PLENTY big enough with our T-25 to be honest. The stock exhaust without a cat is probably even ample(I think Josh dyno'd with a TSTE catback with no cat and just look at the amount of power he made. :cool:).

I have a 2.5'' SS mandrel bent setup on my TGP with a carsound/magnaflow high-flow cat(it came on the car), and a universal resonator. I also still have the stock tips, but they're soon to be gone, the piping had to be necked down really small to fit them. :redface: I'm replacing them with 3'' "dual dual" outlet tips that have a 2.5'' inlet size. I will also be either swapping out the cat with a new one or trying something else in its place, my old leaking injectors probably didn't help the current cat any. :lol: I'm sorta planning on buying some flanges and welding them onto the exhaust where the cat is so that I can easily bolt in a cat if we ever have emissions or inspections here in the future.

Good ideas Matt... I think I will go with 2.5" exhaust, don't want too little backpressure, as that is not good also. I'm unsure if I should run a resonator or not.... is there much (if any) sound difference between running or not running a resonator on a TGP?? (raspiness and/or how loud it is?) I WILL NOT run a cat. I refuse! :lol:

Thanks

Nick