3100 heads vs 3400 heads

95 BLKDOUT Drop Top

so i can at least do the upper intake and TB? Im so confused right now on what will work and what wont work.

I think you can do it even if you have the old heads. I'm hoping brian will chime in and confirm.

should I do a write-up on this? Today a powertrain re-builder expert looked at my car and was shoked to see a totally detailed 3400 engine with the deluxe can cover under my hood.

You have to do this one of two ways.........

1 ) How *I* recomended (heads up).

2 ) How *he* recomended (intakes/tb only).

You can NOT do the UIM ONLY...........it will NOT bolt to your current L82 LIM (6 bolts vs 12 IIRC).

But..........

Even if you have the older stamped rockers and your LG8 or LA1 intakes are NOT clearanced, you can still grind them down to make clearance. This is really not so hard to do, and I could point you at quite a few people on other mesage boards who've done this swap and had to grind stuff. This still allows you to do *his* option for the simplest swap available.

Also, there is a VERY strong chance you'll need an EGR adapter regardless of which one you do. 60 deg store (Ben Phelps) sells EGR adapters for a no-fuss bolt-up. They were designed by a guy with a 13 second 3400 Beretta who's done a ton of swaps.........

Also, there is a VERY strong chance you'll need an EGR adapter regardless of which one you do. 60 deg store (Ben Phelps) sells EGR adapters for a no-fuss bolt-up. They were designed by a guy with a 13 second 3400 Beretta who's done a ton of swaps.........

To use this, you have to make sure you get an intake where the EGR mounts pointing UP, towards the hood. My intake has the EGR pointing towards the firewall. I cannot use my EGR or the adapter with this. You have to have an intake from a van, that's the easiest way to make sure you get the right intake.

Put it this way: If you can get the newer heads, use them. I picked the heads up cheap and changed them as well when I did the manifolds on my old 3100. That's what I'd "Recommend". However if you DON'T want to go the extra mile and take the time, effort, and slightly more $ to do the heads, the manifolds WILL STILL BOLT UP TO THE OLDER HEADS. You'll just need to be sure the rockers will clear the bottom of the manifolds. Here's a pic of "factory clearance":

http://60degreev6.com/Articles/Pushrod/3x00_Perf/Image14.jpg

Notice the flat shiny spots on the far right manifold.

Call it what you want with that rear manifold, but GM didn't change the HP rating of the L82 when they started using that rear manifold in '97. The ONLY reason I'd say "yes definetly use it" is to get rid of the POS '93-96 design that is known for cracking, and not having downpipe bolts that are a bitch to get to. The newer one is a more straightforward design, but again if you don't want a 3 hr intake manifold job to turn into a much longer job (involving exhaust cutting, temporary clamping for the 2" downpipe so you can get it to the exhaust shop) just friggin leave it.

im gonna make a trip to the local j/y today before i head to work, i called and they got a 97 transport 3400 there. Im gonna grab the manifolds and the TB and SEE about getting the heads. I may just wait to get the heads because i hate workin in the cold with no heated garage and gettin both heads, manifolds, exhaust manifolds, and the TB might take up to an hour or so and by that time my toes get numb. man i hate the winter time :willynilly:

im gonna make a trip to the local j/y today before i head to work, i called and they got a 97 transport 3400 there. Im gonna grab the manifolds and the TB and SEE about getting the heads. I may just wait to get the heads because i hate workin in the cold with no heated garage and gettin both heads, manifolds, exhaust manifolds, and the TB might take up to an hour or so and by that time my toes get numb. man i hate the winter time :willynilly:

do not forget to grab:

both alternor brackets if present. these are the small ones that link the rear of the alternator to the intake. these get overlooked often.

the map sensor bracket if you wish to use an 3400 engine cover. the oil cap extender (like 3800s use) as well.

the egr pipe tube as well... preferable from a 96-99 3100.