160* vs. 180* vs. 195*

jeremy

I am picking up a new thermostat today and I wanted everyone's opinion before I head out. I am most likely going to pick up a 180*, but the NAPA stocks a 160* option as well. I thought I remember reading something that the 160* is actually bad for the engine. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Also, is there any reason that someone thinks that staying wiht the 195* is the best option?

With the 180 I used to have I had little to no heat, epsecially on the highway...in fact my torque converter would always be unlocking to warm the engine up, since my temp. guage barely moved off the cold mark.

With my 195 I have loads of heat, but way less performance, especially after the needle on my temp guage has gone past a quarter..

Well, IMO. For a stock vehicle there is no point in getting a cooler t-stat. Let me guess you're replacing it because its easy to get too? LOL.

You could always get a cooler one for the summer, but thats up to you.

Well, IMO. For a stock vehicle there is no point in getting a cooler t-stat. Let me guess you're replacing it because its easy to get too? LOL.

actually the one in the car was stuck open.....luke warm "heat" and -5* temp. don't mix very well :lol:

You will burn through cooling fans like crazy with the 160* t-stat. I'd go with the 180*.

Not quite, the ECU controls the fans, they still won't turn on until they hit the right temp. I grabbed a 195 for the regal since a hotter engine is more effect (mpg) and I like my heat :)