Belt Tensioner

manualturbo

hey guys,

ive noticed lately that when the engine is under a heavy load (above 5psi of boost and above 3,000 rpm) theres a loud shrill noise coming from the belt. i checked and all my accesories seem to be workin fine. i was wondering if this was characteristic of the tensioner. but what gets be is that its only under those conditions, when im cruising or idling it makes no sound whatsoever. im stumped. thanks in advance.

mitch

90 tgp 5 speed

yes i do, but ive had it for a while, i know what that sounds like(sweet:)

this is a new souns and it sounds like it could become a problem if i let it go.

-mitch

yeah i thought of that but i was hoping against hope that it wasnt. i have another laying around here that is still in good condition so i guess ill do the old guess and check.

thanks guys

mitch

hey guys,

i found out what the whistling noise was. it turns out it was an exhaust leak out of the rear manifold. just had to unbolt the manifold, loosen the nuts holding the x-over on, slid a new gasket in there, bolted back together and bam, no more annoying whistling under high boost.

-mitch

could be, but the motor has 160,000 miles on it, so it wouldnt surprise me if it was just wear and tear. when i get the new motor put in ill probly get new exhaust anyway so unless i find out my cat is really really bad i probly wont worry about it.

The manifold may also be warped because of age. If it happen again you might want to have it resurfaced. You could also do it yourself if you have a large belt sander.

Jason