Winter care

THe_DeTAiL3R

So I'm getting ready for the snow and shitty weather. I want my car to last as long as possible, so I do what I can...

1. Change wheels/tires. Got the pizza cutter's from my 88 GP. 205/70/15's work great in the snow, and are cheap! Save the crosslace for the summer, and I plan to hopefully strip them down again, repolish and paint them for spring time. :)

2. Undercoating. Booked it for Monday, getting it down at http://krown.com (if you live in Canada I suggest checking them out). Rust= cancer. Protect your undercarriage!

3. Wash 'n wax. After the undercoating is done I'll wash off any excess oil and put on a nice layer of wax to help protect against salt, snow, and scratching from the removal of snow during the winter time.

4. Interior clean (especially the windows). Now's a good time to clean all the garbage out of the car so it doesn't stink during winter driving. Spray some air freshener or Febreeze into the cowl (with the heater on full blast) so make the vents smell good during heater operation. Clean windows so they don't get all yucky if they are fogged up.

5. Windows- make sure your washer fluid reservoir is topped up! Putting Rain-X or similar product on the windows will help too. If you live in a real cold climate, one of those washer fluid heaters might be something to consider.

6.- Put your detailing supplies indoors so they don't freeze! Nothing worse than having expensive polishes and waxes ruined cause they were left in a cold garage!

Anyways I think that's about all I have to do... anybody else who has suggestions please add to the list!

I don't know if this is really a suggestion or this is just I do normally. I park in the garage when I can, or off the street to keep from getting hit by retards. One thing I always do is away from the intersection or closest to the middle of the block as I can.

thats a good list. another thing i like to do, is take off anything on the car that you dont want the possibility of it being ruined by winter. i.e. since i dont have winter wheels, i take off my monte center caps. i dont want them to get fubared by winter(and at like $30 a piece..F*ck that!!!) I'll probably take my grille off and put my stock one back on.

I have to put my splash guard back on. Also going to spary my exhaust with some heat resistant paint, as well as the clamps. Other than that i just run it throught the car wash at the gas station once every 2 weeks.

We have the "touchless" car wash's here. That's what I will be rocking because I would NEVER let the brushes touch my paint and it has the undercarriage blaster..

FYI it doesn't really do a good job at cleaning the car though mainly because it is touchless.

and BTW, do not forget to wax inside those door jams!

and BTW, do not forget to wax inside those door jams!

That's a good idea if you aren't getting undercoating. My door jambs (especially around the hinges and bottem of the doors) will be covered in teh stickyness.

I take a lot of heat from people who know me because this winter I am putting my stock hood, grille, steelies and the passenger fender that got dented last winter on the car. I buy about 6 cans of the spray under coat from autozone and then when that dries I slather the underside with grease and oil.

Tip: Put splash guards on; they will do wonders for keeping a lot of shit off the side of your car, and will ensure that u don't get your paint chipped from all the gravel/salt on the roads.

Tip: Put splash guards on; they will do wonders for keeping a lot of shit off the side of your car, and will ensure that u don't get your paint chipped from all the gravel/salt on the roads.

ummm.no

I understand winter rims, but winter hoods, grilles and fenders are quite comical to me....

x3 ROFL...hey I just put my winter headlights in..

is it a crime that i want to protect my newly painted/completed Z34 grille? didnt think so KTHNXBYE

I understand winter rims, but winter hoods, grilles and fenders are quite comical to me....

x3 ROFL...hey I just put my winter headlights in..

x4... if your car is that important you shouldn't be driving it in the winter in the first place. lol

Well yesterday I finally got around to waxing the car. I debadged the doors before doing so (Looks friggen sweet!), 1 layer of Liquid Glass, and Mother's California Gold overtop of that (I had a small bottle of it and wanted to use it up). Anyways car looks pretty good.